You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-05 08:09:22

Mr Green
Administrator

Staff project of the month ---- ArchBang!!!!

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

#2 2016-05-07 16:18:02

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Staff project of the month ---- ArchBang!!!!

For our May “Staff Pick” Project of the Month, we selected ArchBang, a simple GNU/Linux distribution that provides a lightweight Arch Linux system combined with the OpenBox window manager. Mr. Green, the current developer of ArchBang, shared some thoughts about the project’s history, purpose, and direction.

SourceForge (SF): What made you start this?
ArchBang (AB): I took over development of iso for Will at the time to allow him to focus on his studies.

SF: Has the original vision been achieved?
AB: Mostly; we try to keep iso to a minimum with all the tools you need to install and set up archlinux.

SF: Who can benefit the most from your project?
AB: Newcomers to Arch, Linux or even more experienced users who want a comfortable portable system.

SF: What core need does ArchBang fulfill?
AB: [The need for an Arch Linux system] that’s light, easy-to-use, fast, and up-to-date (as possible).

SF: What’s the best way to get the most out of using ArchBang?
AB: Try it live or load and run from ram, get the feel of Archlinux without having to install, break or risk your own system.

SF: What has your project team done to help build and nurture your community?
AB: We tend to keep things friendly and light-hearted. [We] pride ourselves on helping out when we can or at least point a user in the right direction.

SF: Have you all found that more frequent releases helps build up your community of users?
AB: Not really noticed that so much; we aim to release every three months (seasonal) subject to any major changes in Archlinux.

SF: How has SourceForge and its tools helped your project reach success?
AB: [It has] allowed users to find and download isos easily.

SF: What is the next big thing for ArchBang?
AB: Working towards a system free iso…

SF: How long do you think that will take?
AB: Hopefully within a few months we can have a fully working release.

SF: Do you have the resources you need to make that happen?
AB: Always looking to upgrade hardware; builds currently limited to the power of my laptop.

SF: If you had it to do over again, what would you do differently for ArchBAng?
AB: For me keeping things light and gui free would be ideal.

SF: Is there anything else we should know?
AB: Special thanks goes to Oliver and Pablokal ?

Nice and thanks!  Pity the d got lost in systemd

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer