You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-03 00:22:18

RuudMans

Hi everyone, RuudMans calling

Hi fellow Arch(Bang) users,

I recently decided to jump into the Arch pool, leaving behind more 'out-of-the-box' working experiences with Fedora, Lubuntu and Manjaro to get my feet wet.

I am now succesfully running ArchBang on an old monstrosity of a PC:
- Intel PIII 850MHz CPU
- Asus P2B-S mainboard
- 768 MB RAM
- 2 SCSI HardDrives (9GB + 18GB)
- Intel 1Gbit NIC
- ATI Radeon 9200 AGP Videocard

Miraculously, I managed to get it all to work without too much trouble. The main struggle was partitioning the drives and setting up a working LVM2 logical drive system, but even that turned out okay, with the help of the Arch Linux wiki pages.
I am in the process of learning more about the mechanics and configuration of Linux, a daunting task but very very interesting. I never knew there would me so much to learn if you have to basically build everything up from (almost) scratch.

I consider myself a novice on a steep learning curve and a non-professional (I am a business analist for a non-proft organisation in my daily life) Linux experimentalist. Just a hobby, right?

Anyway, just saying hello :-)

Cheers,
RuudMans
(The Netherlands)

#2 2016-05-03 07:37:39

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Hi everyone, RuudMans calling

Hi Ruud,
Welkom and my compliments for your courage and perseverance.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2016-05-04 02:15:50

RuudMans

Cheers Pablokal.

Took me a few tries and hours to get the LVM setup done and operational on my SCSI-drives to suit my needs and then install ArchBang, but it is now running smoothly.

I have taken it upon myself to set up a Linux machine that is as close to a truly personal setup as achievable, given my current, limited knowledge. So far I am making progress and learning so much about Arch and Linux in general. My previous experiences with more "install and run" based distributions, didn't quite give me what I was looking for. Starting with a bare minimum setup and knowing exactly what goes into the system, where it goes and what it changes to the way things work is the way to learn the fundamentals. It comes with the occasional swearing and rolling of the eyes, not to mention rivers of coffee (black please!)... but it is worth it (as long as wifey lets me get on with it, of course).

To quote Alfred: "Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves up again.". I believe that to be very true when it comes to learning ArchLinux.

Ruud

Last edited by RuudMans (2016-05-09 10:58:57)

#4 2016-05-22 15:32:25

bonbonboi

Glad for your achievement with that old case smile by the way why do we eat much while working on such jobs big_smile

Last edited by bonbonboi (2016-05-22 15:33:19)

Board footer