You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-27 02:54:46

Mr Green
Administrator

New ArchBang installer abits

For summer release am going to start working on a plugin based installer. Simply going to build onto fast-install script.

Code name: abi ( needs work )

Idea is main script sets up system base to a bare minimum then plugins are called to do all setting up of various things.

Plugins could for example set up locales, keyboard, hostname, user etc...

Add to this things like installing a give application (browser)

It will allow changes to be made easier and far quicker, users can decide if they want a feature or not. Pull in user created ones.

Not sure yet if plugins should be scripts or functions that installer pulls in.

Possible problem might be order of plugins...

WIP

https://gitlab.com/mrgreen/abits

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2016-03-27 18:38:07

oliver
Administrator

Re: New ArchBang installer abits

Mr Green wrote:

Possible problem might be order of plugins...

You can number them like:

10_partition-disk
20_define-mountpoints
30_set-hostname

and so on.

If you iterate through [0-99]* you can let the numbering scheme define the order.  (Basically the old sysV init method of starting scripts)

#3 2016-03-28 00:44:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Seems that looping naturally gives numerical order, only tested with a couple of plugins (need a new name for them!).

So main script will test for mounted device and root user then run through scripts in order

Guess 01_system_install is first wink

Will consist of copying / filesystem creating fstab and adding kernel then making initcpio ....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2016-04-06 01:35:15

Mr Green
Administrator

Have started getting abits up and running currently I have the following bits

system-setup # copy live image to target device
hostname
hardware clock
root password
create user # move from ablive to <username> set password
bootloader # syslinux, grub or skip

The whole point is to get a new system up and running as quickly as possible, things like locales,timezone,mirrors,pacman can all be done post install.

If there is anything you think needs adding then let me know.

Have a feeling that because we are copying live image and not system image any changes done locally will transfer to new system.

#5 2016-04-08 11:13:39

Mr Green
Administrator

Been thinking that 'bits' should be scripts that although needed could be skipped, removed or changed to suit user requirements. To that end I may include system-setup in main script.

Board footer