You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-03 21:34:59

npinkerton

Howdy

Hello all.

My name is Nathan. I'm a former farm-boy, current construction worker... blue-collar nerd... the kind of guy that operates heavy equipment during the day, and edits bash scripts by night.

Years ago I pulled the trigger and bailed on Windows and switched to Gentoo Linux running FluxBox.

I stayed there for a long time, until the motherboard died on that machine.

I bought a open-box Mac Mini at that time, I have been running OSX as my primary machine since.

I later bought a laptop running Windows 7, (as a secondary machine) and have been threatening to go back to Linux on it... After Windows 10 happened, I was done... I tried to like it... I really did... but I just couldn't. After re-familiarizing myself with the current distros that are available, I decided that I was intrigued by Arch (I loved Gentoo, and the old Stage 1 install taught me more about Linux in one night than tinkering with RedHat over several years had ever done... Portage is awesome and pacman seems to be *at least* as cool + I like trying new things)... and as I am a fan of BlackBox style WMs, I figured ArchBang was the quickest way to be up and running on my laptop (install completely done, sitting on the couch, while watching TV... by a construction worker... who says Linux isn't ready for mainstream?)

While sitting on the couch, binge-watching old SmallVille episodes with my wife, I pulled the trigger one night (Jan 19, 2016, according to my logs), and between dinner-time and bed-time, I had nixed all traces of Windows from my little Atom-powered laptop (let's be honest... its a netbook)... and had a much snappier experience with an OS that lets me feel much better about myself, rather than the self-loathing born from running Windows... but I just can't shake OSX... its so pretty.

So here I am. Digging me some ArchBang... at least on my secondary machine.

(hey, at least OSX is Unix... that makes it OK... right?...)

Now, getting back into Linux again, after several years' hiatus, and learning about the controversy over systemd... I am considering going back to Gentoo... but, I just got ArchBang all tweaked and set up like I want it (except conky... still grepping those configs...)... and I'm really fond of the ArchBang forum. So far the community here seems pretty great

Last edited by npinkerton (2016-02-04 01:58:56)

#2 2016-02-04 05:50:48

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Howdy

Thanks for your nice story, a new AB user getting a face for us.
If you want to read up on the systemd discussions, you can find a lot on these forums, for instance http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=3262

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer