You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-29 07:25:57

menloe

New to Archbang

Hi,

I was a Windows user from smalltimes (c. 1990) until starting graduate school in 2008. I used Ubuntu, and dabbled with Arch Linux at some point during that time, until I finished graduate school in 2009. Then I got a job and was given a Macbook Pro for work. I stopped using Linux until a friend mentioned he finished building a computer and had installed Chakra. When he explained that it was based on Arch, I remembered all the "fun" I had installing Arch as a novice Linux user and immediately decided to install Arch, a derivative of Arch, or something like Arch the first chance I got.

(I'm not much more than a novice user now, but lord I can Google and I'm generally unafraid of blowing up my computer.)

I had a 250GB laptop hard drive laying around and decided I'd pop it into my Windows desktop to install Arch. I installed Arch the old fashioned way a couple of times, learning a lot about Arch and the limits of my patience in the process. I could never get the bootloader to install correctly - never showed other OSes, BIOS wouldn't recognize the drive, etc, - and had just about despaired. Then earlier this week I read about Archbang in a Linux magazine, and thought it sounded promising.

Promise fulfilled. Now I'm the fanciest lad on the block.

I learned a lot from installing Archbang. It filled in some of the blanks from my reg'lar install attempts. You done good with this Archbang business.

Regards,

menloe

#2 2015-05-29 12:51:35

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: New to Archbang

Hi Menloe,
Thank you for taking the trouble to tell your history of computing. It is exactly for users like you that we are providing Archbang; Glad it worked OK for you and hope you will keep enjoying it in the future.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer