You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-03 20:43:20

sanal ettan

how to make u r laptop go Hybernaten or blankscreen when inactive

i like to make my laptop go hybernate or blankscreen , i tried gogling about DPMS but, nothing is working out of the box , i tied slock ...but i need something that is costume ised

Shout if you need Cookies..... big_smile

On Archbang
HP Compaq presario V3000

#2 2015-04-04 06:36:32

oliver
Administrator

Re: how to make u r laptop go Hybernaten or blankscreen when inactive

sanal ettan wrote:

i like to make my laptop go hybernate or blankscreen , i tried gogling about DPMS but, nothing is working out of the box , i tied slock ...but i need something that is costume ised

hibernation and blankscreen are very different things :-)  And then there's suspending too.  Your first decision is what you want to do

As a basic rule, hibernation means writing to disk, suspension means writing to RAM and blankscreen just turns off the screen

By default, if I remember correctly, the hibernation/suspend options are manual by default and you have to configure a button to invoke them

So, and I may be wrong on this, since OB doesn't have power-mgmt you'll need to install some kind of screenlocker (and I fear slock might be too basic - I've never really used it though) and then configure it to run something like 'sudo systemctl hibernate' when the timer is reached. 

xscreensaver is old but it's what I used before I moved to Arch as a VirtualBox guest at work - I don't bother with it on my home PC though (no need to lock)

For simple screen blanking, run 'xset -q' and look at the DPMS settings - but this is just for the screen

#3 2015-04-04 09:11:53

sanal ettan

u r saying .. this is dead end ?
I just want to save some battery ... any other way ?

Shout if you need Cookies..... big_smile

On Archbang
HP Compaq presario V3000

#4 2015-04-04 10:37:47

scjet

What @Oliver descibes above is accurate.
You could also try "TLP", if you prefer the "install and forget it", (pacman -S tlp), ...explained here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP

#5 2015-04-04 11:00:40

Mr Green
Administrator

Most of what you need is in Arch wiki

http://bit.ly/14FtLe3

If you need to do anything that is related too Arch linux it is your first port of call....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2015-04-04 19:17:37

scjet

I think what Mr G is saying is that whatever you do, don't just type "zerg rush" in a google search, although it is kinda fun.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2015-04-04 19:19:47)

#7 2015-04-04 23:09:58

throdon

scjet wrote:

I think what Mr G is saying is that whatever you do, don't just type "zerg rush" in a google search, although it is kinda fun.
wink

What is this magic, and can I use it in Bing?

Board footer