parport_pc parport_pc.956: unable to set coherent dma mask: disabling

Hello Group:

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this xen boot issue:

Tried xen v4.3, v4.4.1 & v4.5-git..

I am getting same error booting ..
======================
parport_pc parport_pc.956: unable to set coherent dma mask: disabling dma
======================

After this, the monitor screen goes blank & it powers down..

lsmod shows no entry for paraport or paraport_pc

Am running Archbang -- 3.18.6-1-ARCH

getting desperate..

Pls advise.. Thnx a Lot

#2 2015-03-10 09:00:32

oliver
Administrator

Re: parport_pc parport_pc.956: unable to set coherent dma mask: disabling

does your hardware definitely support xen?

$ grep -E "(vmx|svm)" /proc/cpuinfo

#3 2015-03-10 09:40:07

delphys

Yes.. its a  2 x quad core xeon Dell workstation..

I am at work now so I can not give you the output..

#4 2015-03-10 16:51:07

delphys

Here is the output:
==================

flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
================================

#5 2015-03-10 18:02:36

oliver
Administrator

I'm not sure what to say... it may be worth trying the LTS kernel.  I'm using void and it comes with the xen (4.5) pkg pre-built and it seems to work without any issues.  In saying that, I get the same parport error but it doesn't affect the booting although I do get the same (temporary) blanking as it determines the resolution or whatever it is it's doing.  But once that is complete, it boots up like the regular void and the only way I know it's running is by executing the xl commands.

I would *guess* your problem is kernel modesetting related on the grub line rather than a xen problem but like I said it's a guess.

#6 2015-03-10 18:46:49

delphys

oliver wrote:

I'm not sure what to say... it may be worth trying the LTS kernel.  I'm using void and it comes with the xen (4.5) pkg pre-built and it seems to work without any issues.  In saying that, I get the same parport error but it doesn't affect the booting although I do get the same (temporary) blanking as it determines the resolution or whatever it is it's doing.  But once that is complete, it boots up like the regular void and the only way I know it's running is by executing the xl commands.

I would *guess* your problem is kernel modesetting related on the grub line rather than a xen problem but like I said it's a guess.

Ok .. Thank you ..

Maybe I will take a gander at void then ..

Board footer