You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-19 13:35:58

smil3y
Website

A Live CD installer, possible collaboration

Hello,

Altought I'm not very active on the forum I do visit and read new topics and replies from time to time. I read a few comments about you struggling with installers so I decided to share my work with you, maybe it will be useful to you too.

So, I'm working on a Live CD installer for my own purposes (avoiding rant here). It's written in Python and uses the PyQt4 toolkit. It is pretty much complete with a few exceptions like hostname, services, and kernel modules setup. The GUI and the core installer are separated in a way the the installer can use different procedure if the core is reimplemented, as in uses different commands, to get the job done but re-uses the input from the UI.

The sources code is pulibc and you can view and even try it, just visit https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/live-installer. The dependencies, other than Python and PyQt4, are busybox, parted, util-linux (for fdisk/cfdisk, but gdisk is supported too), squashfs-tools, xterm, e2fsprogs and friends (like ntfs-3g) and finally a few Python libraries (or modules) that I've developed by me which you can get from https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/bfp/src/ma … ?at=master. Screenshotts of the installer in action you can view also in the repository where the source code is.

If you are interested I can help with initial implementation for your use case - installing ArchBang. A dummy copy of the InstallerThread class with different name and using it as installer thread if /etc/arch-release (if I'm correct) exists should suffice as a start. Then, adjusting the squashfs root filesystem path and maybe a few more paths (e.g. GRUB) and it should work.

I know that you try to avoid Qt applications to keep the ISO size at minimum and the installer may not fit your vision and requirements so if you do reject my offer I'll understand that. Cheers!

edit: mentioned xterm as dependency

Last edited by smil3y (2015-02-19 15:02:32)

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#2 2015-02-20 04:29:31

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: A Live CD installer, possible collaboration

Thanks for your input. You have been working hard on this, I see.  I'm sure Mr Green will have a look at it. Maybe the foot print of python and qt and python-qt will be too much for him. Screen shots look OK though.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2015-02-20 09:17:03

smil3y
Website

I wrote it quickly actually. Some features like LVM/RAID, (U)EFI and translations are not yet implemented but I hope I will have time to do it eventually. Awaiting input from Mr Green.

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#4 2015-02-20 11:11:06

Mr Green
Administrator

i might look at a gui installer sometime in the future. More interested in removing systemd from arch,

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2015-02-20 11:40:18

smil3y
Website

Ok, do let me know if you need help with it. Implementing new features like timezone and keyboard setup I can do on demand, I have not done it yet because usually Desktop Environments have a way to change that.

Cheers!

#6 2015-02-20 13:03:31

Mr Green
Administrator

Why not make installer a general one, I mean more in line with aui and arch install scripts. That way it will work with any spin off,,, just go for a full arch installer with all the candy :-)

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#7 2015-02-20 13:21:31

smil3y
Website

An installer that will work with all distributions out there is impossible. There has to be an abstraction to handle distribution specifiec stuff separately. aui is made for arch so it's not like it is portable, it even has init system specifiec cruft (see https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui/blob/m … uncs#L646), it will require quite some effort to port it to anything that is not Arch Linux.

#8 2015-02-20 13:30:02

Mr Green
Administrator

I meant with arch, you would have serious problems making it work for all...

#9 2015-02-20 14:26:48

smil3y
Website

You mean with some advanced configuration options that Arch Linux would like to tweak yet does not actually install but only helps you to do so? As in it does not unsquash sfs files, it does not install bootloader, etc. so it works with (for an example) Arch and Void?

#10 2015-02-20 15:20:59

Mr Green
Administrator

Aui is my only reference it allowed a user to not only too install but a desktop, many other features including encryption, efi etc.

Basically our installer is a wrapper for arch install scripts...

#11 2015-02-22 02:49:26

Mr Green
Administrator

#12 2015-02-22 07:54:44

smil3y
Website

Calamares requires Qt5 which is ~150Mb, 320Mb with debug symbols. In addition it requires Boost which is another 100Mb. It does not cut if for my use cases.

Last edited by smil3y (2015-02-22 07:55:01)

Board footer