You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-15 11:35:57

Mr Green
Administrator

Sunday morning at the keyboard

Have spent most of the morning trying to get ArchBang to run systemd free. First runit with mdev then eudev, package clash here missing dep there, just about to give up and came across an article about installing Openrc under arch. Have tried before but found it far too complicated with so many packages to build. Anyway added repro in article and started installing OpenRC.

Then grabbed eudev-openrc .... Systemd was removed completely and it still works smile

It is a rough install that I made but have X, dbus, eudev, network all running no idea on update path

Link: https://abchk1234.wordpress.com/categor … rch-linux/

Mr Green

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2015-02-15 13:30:30

Lineaxe

Re: Sunday morning at the keyboard

I'm looking forward to ArchBang working perfectly without Systemd. As I'm no sys-admin, or have any other need for it. And even some sys-admins hates it.
And when programming, it gets in my way when any program crashes (which used to lock the whole system down), and it starts the core-dump logging deamon working like crazy, when I just want to get on to fixing the damn bug.
Perhaps it doesn't do this anymore, I may not notice, as I'm on a super-computer laptop ^^

But I still want my OS to be as performant as possible!

Edit: if it's quite a few steps you have to take to get Systemd-free, perhaps you could place them in a script? or just give links and basic instructions, and I will gladly put it in a script once I do this on my system.

Last edited by Lineaxe (2015-02-15 13:34:17)

#3 2015-02-15 13:45:56

Mr Green
Administrator

Normally I would have to build everything for Openrc from aur and it would involve millions of packages wink this repo in article allowed me to install Openrc in minutes. Need to email artoo for some advice and see if it would be possible to create a systemd free version of ArchBang using Openrc.

Personally I would prefer to use runit as to me it is what Archlinux was all about simplicity.

Next get NetworkManager running ....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2015-02-15 22:03:38

aaditya
Website

Hi Mr Green,

Saw your post on the forums.
I maintain that repo by building from artoo's git repo of PKGBUILDs.

I dont mind that repo used on Archbang, but it is unreliable sometimes due to sourceforge being down, so maybe you could mirror it somewhere on the Archbang servers or perhaps build your own using the same pkgbuilds (the openrc-core package displays while booting the name of the distro on which it was built by default).

About NetworkManager, you could try installing networkmanager-openrc, which pulls in networkmanager-consolekit, add the NetworkManager service to default runlevel, install network-manager-applet, reboot and see if it works for you.

wicd-openrc (with wicd-gtk) is an alternative that I use.

Last edited by aaditya (2015-02-15 22:41:17)

#5 2015-02-16 00:38:09

Mr Green
Administrator

Quite surprised how easy it was to get a systemd free arch. Sourceforge does give me problems at times. Might be more prudent at this stage for me too update openrc guide in wiki. Only built virtual machine quickly so just added dhcpd too default.

Really amazed because building an systemd free arch takes a lot of work.

ArchBang-openrc might live again wink

#6 2015-02-16 00:58:20

moravec
Website

btw it's Monday.

ex Distro Junkie, Archbang addict

#7 2015-02-16 10:55:50

Mr Green
Administrator

Well it is now wink

Board footer