You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-24 04:15:16

pjhalsli

How come AB iso is so light?

Hi all.

It's my understanding that after I've installed Archbang I'm running "pure" Arch not like Manjarobox which is based on Arch but has their own repo, is this correct? Antergos Archbang and Bridge are pure Arch?
Next question; how come the AB iso is so small? It's about 350 mb lighter than manjarobox and 300 mb lighter than bridge, how is that possible?. Is there anything important that has been removed or is it just that all the other ones has to much "bloat" included?

Third and last Q; Is it always this quiet here at AB forum? I've been hanging out at Manjaro very much and there's very vivid community over there. And here I feel it's very quiet. Then of course there's a lot of buntu people over there who wants to try out the mighty mighty pacman smile

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#2 2014-06-24 04:34:03

once

Re: How come AB iso is so light?

1 & 2, have no idea.
3 quiet? you must miss a week ago, here had a flame war.

#3 2014-06-24 06:24:01

pjhalsli

@once; you don't use AB? I mean if you don't know if you use pure arch or not?

Flame war? You mean the slight disagrement with artoo and the direction AB should go in?  But I got the impression this is a very quiet forum. My guess is that it's because AB users has more knowledge and don't have to ask about every little thing. You guys know how to read smile and figure stuff out.
We got trouble over at Manjaro also nowadays. devs and mods are running for their life's  hahaha  smile

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#4 2014-06-24 07:31:12

oliver
Administrator

pjhalsli wrote:

It's my understanding that after I've installed Archbang I'm running "pure" Arch not like Manjarobox which is based on Arch but has their own repo, is this correct? Antergos Archbang and Bridge are pure Arch?

I'm not sure I'd agree it's 'pure' Arch.  It's true that Archbang is built only from official repos and AUR but I think only those who installed from the official Arch ISO are considered to be running 'pure' Arch.

Next question; how come the AB iso is so small? It's about 350 mb lighter than manjarobox and 300 mb lighter than bridge, how is that possible?.

I don't know what the others ship with but my money would be on the lack of 'base-devel' and 'python3' in Archbang - both of these would probably add 250/300mb (just a guess though)

You only really need base-devel if you're compiling from AUR (or source) so the thought was you'd probably have a working internet connection and could grab the latest and greatest as and when needed

#5 2014-06-24 09:43:25

pjhalsli

Thanks for the answer oliver. Appreciated.
I know some people say you have to go through the whole installation to call it arch. But if I insstall Arch on one pc and install openbox. And then I install archbang on another pc they will be running exactly the same thing right?

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#6 2014-06-24 11:22:14

oliver
Administrator

pjhalsli wrote:

Thanks for the answer oliver. Appreciated.
I know some people say you have to go through the whole installation to call it arch. But if I insstall Arch on one pc and install openbox. And then I install archbang on another pc they will be running exactly the same thing right?

Depends how exactly you define "exactly" :-)

We could ship Archbang as a post-install script rather than a full installation with installer, so if you ignore the (im)probability that two people would choose the exact same aesthetics then they would be the same.

#7 2014-06-24 11:55:28

pjhalsli

Thanks again. Do you have a topic solved button here?

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#8 2014-06-24 12:30:27

oliver
Administrator

nope - but you should be able to edit your first post if you so desire.

#9 2014-06-24 13:48:04

Mr Green
Administrator

We just ship with the basics a terminal what more do you need :-)

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#10 2014-06-24 13:57:17

throdon

yeah mr green. I wish you would bring back the superlight ISO that you put out about 6 months ago.

If I recall it had firefox a terminal and basic networking. I don't even think it had an installer.

#11 2014-06-24 14:09:10

Mr Green
Administrator

That was the start of my Armchair project, ended up with a terminal and dwb....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#12 2014-06-24 16:54:52

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

That was the start of my Armchair project, ended up with a terminal and dwb....

add tmux and it's perfect :-)

#13 2014-06-24 23:11:27

Mr Green
Administrator

Added

#14 2014-08-27 00:14:21

xkaspian

Hello,

What's the difference between Archbang and Archbang light ??

I have installed the normal Archbang and would like it to make it even lighter smile)

Which things in the system were changed  (i don't mean especially the programs like firefox....)  ??

Thx

#15 2014-08-27 07:41:23

oliver
Administrator

xkaspian wrote:

Which things in the system were changed  (i don't mean especially the programs like firefox....)  ??

Nothing in the system was changed, it remains as close to pure Arch as possible.  The only changes are in the supplemental apps added (or not added in the "light" version)

#16 2014-08-27 22:58:04

xkaspian

Thx oliver smile)

#17 2015-02-24 05:25:34

Lineaxe

You've already gotten the answer to the third. As I think most people here are attracted to the simplicity of just using a simple WM (Openbox) to access their terminal(s) and programs.
And as for me: for the 2-3 years I've installed it on different computers, every iso just works! Manjaro doesn't... nor Bridge, or other Arch-based distros. I just gave up on them and went straight to this, as I had used CrunchBang for some months already. And I enjoyed the simplicity of it.
And I get to installing packagages and happily using it!

So the questions I, and many others here will have, are not as rudimentary as getting it to ****ing work! ^^
And I hope that will continue. And also, if you want it more lively: give more of your energy to making it so -- give us your soul!
Hehe...

For me, it's a very comfortable distro to do Linux programming on. Though Debian would probably be better for that, I like Arch.

And no, after these 2-3 years, I still don't really know what has been plucked out of the Arch Linux system. All I know is that some man files has been missing at times. As I've yet to install pure Arch myself... so close at times, but it's such a waste of time... like installing DOS and putting in hundreds of diskettes to install a useable OS. Well, you have the install scripts, so that's what I will use when getting to it, eventually.

Last edited by Lineaxe (2015-02-24 05:30:25)

Board footer