You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-11 19:30:52

Madlab

Attempted to access menu "root menu" but it does not exist.

I pressed on the "reconfigure openbox" on the openbox settings logged out then back in and found this message when attempting to use the openbox menu on the desktop.

#2 2014-06-11 19:34:12

Madlab

Re: Attempted to access menu "root menu" but it does not exist.

i forgot to mention that i need help.

#3 2014-06-12 06:48:23

pjhalsli

You have f**k'd up. I have done this many times and my solution was to reinstall OB. I don't know any other way. Ithink a lot of people have done this so it shouldn't be hard if you asked your friend google  smile

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#4 2014-06-12 09:21:40

oliver
Administrator

can't remember if we ship with the skeleton files yet but if so, you shouldn't have to re-install OB.  Wiping out the ~/.config/openbox dir and copying from /etc/skel should bring things back to how they were on a fresh install. 

Even if we don't have the skeleton files wiping out that dir should mean it's re-created with a naked configuration.  But if you do try this, *do* make a backup first

$ cd ~/.config
$ cp -R openbox openbox.20140612

Of course, someone might know the fix to your specific problem so I wouldn't be too hasty to start again

#5 2014-06-12 10:01:07

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Check out your liveCD if you can't find  the skel files and copy settings from your live cd onto your installation.
See http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?titl … o_a_LiveCD on how to chroot via a liveCD on how to reach a hd partition from a live cd.
You will probably have messed up your home/user/.config/openbox rc.xml file.
So restoring that will probably will be enough. So think back to what you changed before reconfiguring and try to do undo that.
If you know it log in as user and do
nano //home/yourusername/.config/openbox/.rc.xml
and try to correct changes, save with Ctrl+o, enter and ctrl+x, exit nano and login into openbox again or reboot.
Always back rc.xml or other config files before editing, before messing with it.
One wrong keystroke will be able to ruin it.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#6 2014-06-12 10:37:56

Madlab

What I did was i had deleted the "obmenu-generator" part of the menu.xml. There was nothing on the etc/skel folder either so i couldn't use this method: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19456. I just went ahead an reinstalled after backing up and good as new. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

Board footer