You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-30 07:01:59

bokiscout

Not update-ing ArchBang [Is it cleaver idea?]

I'm courent CrunchBang user that mean I'm using Debian stable packages. That is a good for stability but not so good if I want the last version of some software witch I do.

The issue I'm running is this:

1. I have installed some software from Debian unstable repo.
2. Some of those software need dependences that are not in the Debian stable repo and are pulled from Debian ustable repo.
3. I end up with more-less like using Debian unstable instead if stable.

My point of view is that if I'm rally using that much unstable packages why not move to Arch - ArchBang. I will run the same unstable packages but will gain some benefit like:

- One and only installation for many years instead of reinstallation on every x months.

But also it will gave me more difficulties maintaining the OS, possible crushes etc etc.

My second point is that ArchBang without updates (for about year) is still more uptodate than Debian stable. I'm student and I don't have time to mess with broken system but also want some of my software (not all) to be the latest possible version. I guess that I will be fine with updating twice a year, in January and June/July, then I have more free time to deal with broken OS. This will be good enough for me, I will have the more-less latest features and bugs solved and no headaches maintaining the OS.

But I'm concerned about security updates.

1) Should I be or shouldn't so much?
2) Is there any way to get only security related updates everyday and full software updates every six months?

#2 2014-05-30 08:51:26

oliver
Administrator

Re: Not update-ing ArchBang [Is it cleaver idea?]

bokiscout wrote:

But I'm concerned about security updates.

1) Should I be or shouldn't so much?
2) Is there any way to get only security related updates everyday and full software updates every six months?

disclaimer: I am not a security expert

1) Personally, I wouldn't be that worried about security updates - just make sure you back up your personal files somewhere.  It's easy to re-install, not so easy to re-create your personal stuff.

2) Partial upgrades are not supported in Arch.  So there's no way to just get security updates

#3 2014-05-30 13:45:06

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Not update-ing ArchBang [Is it cleaver idea?]

What I recommend it that you update every 3 weeks.
It is a reasonable time span so will get the latest packages and be sure of  a stable system.
Also read this thread: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2372 about enhancing Arch stability.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer