You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-26 01:25:02

ShadowKyogre
Website

Ninit Boot Preparation Automation and Systemd Unit File Converter

--- Copypaste of my forum thread on the Arch Forums on the same thing, since it'd probably be of interest to the forumers here. ---

I figured I should try to learn more about init systems and started looking at ninit (AUR entry). Now, I know there's other init systems like ignite, runit, OpenRC, etc., but I haven't gotten around to trying those yet. Furthermore, I also looked at ninit's little brother minit and really liked it, but it didn't have all of the features I was looking for before starting to experiment.

So during my experiments in my virtual machine (I discovered that my classes were not as fast paced as I thought they would be, except for the labs), I decided that I should write up a basic boot-up, some sample daemons, and a script to convert systemd units to other services for other files. Both still largely in the works, but the boot prep stuff DOES work. A few other things were taken into consideration, such as not having to copy one's /etc/modules-load.d/'s contents into some other file because the stuff at the end of the udev prep stage will read those in and killing off all the daemons configured in daemons/depends before bringing down the system (note: I haven't checked to see if it's intelligent to try backtracking the dependencies of those stopped daemons to make sure any daemons brought in with deps are down).

I don't think I've got the clock-related preparation set up right just yet or some of the other boot stages that I haven't considered (eg: raids, volume groups, etc), but other than that, it should be usable. If anyone wants to do further testing with the unit converter script or the ninit stuff, do let me know. The unit converter script only converts Service files for now, and some of the additional details about services files haven't been considered yet. I do plan on expanding the unit file converter to other init systems once I get the nitpicks with ninit sorted out so people who want to move away from systemd have plenty of choices with less typing.

For an example of what you'd get (sans the Compiz 0.9.X testing stuff) with this setup, here's what the nsvc -L command'll put out: qQ8R9H7s.png

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!

#2 2014-02-26 07:40:49

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Ninit Boot Preparation Automation and Systemd Unit File Converter

Keep us posted about new developments and thanks for letting us know!!

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2014-02-26 10:47:42

Mr Green
Administrator

Looking at aur package it is very old, have you rebuild or updated it?

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

#4 2014-02-26 14:56:43

ShadowKyogre
Website

pablokal wrote:

Keep us posted about new developments and thanks for letting us know!!

I definitely shall! Also, I remembered what I was anxious about when staring at the hwclock part of the boot preparation that I wrote for ninit. I didn't figure out where I should retrieve the --{localtime,utc} option in a way that's friendly to people that still need to migrate their systems off of systemd. That's something I'll need to look into the systemd documentation in to see if there's any leftover config files that the ninit boot prep can be tweaked to be used. ^^;

Mr Green wrote:

Looking at aur package it is very old, have you rebuild or updated it?

I've had to rebuild it, which went without problems despite the source code's age (there's some testing source code in the all files section of their site, but I haven't tried those out). I've also contacted the developer(s) of ninit asking if they're still working on things with it. If I don't get a response, I'll probably take the time to also study the source code some more.

Clean

#5 2014-09-18 00:00:53

ShadowKyogre
Website

Double posting (after 8 months) to let you guys know that I adopted ninit and am studying its source code. I've also managed to rip out systemd out of my desktop and placed this in its place (after converting the unit files I needed) after testing my configuration in a VirtualBox first. My hibernates are bizarrely faster, but that maybe due to not having a lot of hooks in /etc/pm/sleep.d.

Clean

#6 2014-09-18 00:52:01

Mr Green
Administrator

Are you going to fork it? How up to date is it? If you get time a howto would be handy (can always put it in wiki!)

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

#7 2014-09-18 06:17:19

ShadowKyogre
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Are you going to fork it? How up to date is it? If you get time a howto would be handy (can always put it in wiki!)

The code's four years old (three if you count the 2011 indexed ones in testing, http://riemann.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/ninit/test/index.html ) and I haven't gotten any response back from the author yet. So I'm definitely going to do a maintenance fork once I also read the code in the testing tarballs.

Clean

#8 2014-09-22 18:31:53

ShadowKyogre
Website

Double posting to post linkback to my thoughts on and how I set up ninit. The dependency gripe I mention in that post was due to how ninit treats depends as "always start before this service" instead of checking if the dependent service successfully finished or not for services that're one shots.

[EDIT]: Huh, the server for ninit's timing out for some reason. At least it's been archived at archive.org. Probably means it's time for me to make a mirror copy on github at that rate.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2014-09-23 08:57:53)

Clean

Board footer