You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-04 04:43:01

Mr Green
Administrator

Munch turn a live iso in to a persistence version

Munch is a simple script that allows a user to create a persistent portable usb install from ArchBang iso.

Using dd is fine for a live iso on a usb device but any changes made during live session are lost. Munch means you can make changes to system (within limits) that remain after session has ended. Also means that the usb device can be partitioned to allow you to use extra space on device.

Pacman works so you could install another Window Manager of more applications (subject to space). Updating kernel is not possible as it is built into iso image file.

Anyway you will find it on git hub

http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?title=Munch

Any feedback, comments or suggestions welcome.

Script comes with no warranty or support, use at your own risk.. If you do not know what you are doing then munch is not for you..

MrG

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2013-11-04 04:55:55

handy

Re: Munch turn a live iso in to a persistence version

You are a clever fellow Mr G. smile

#3 2013-11-05 01:41:28

rabbit

MrG, thanks for updating munch.  This fixes the syslinux subdirectories. 

However during USB boot-up, an error of "missing vesamenu.c32" causes abort.
I could not find any reference to vesamenu.c32 in the munch script, so I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you.

#4 2013-11-05 02:56:15

Mr Green
Administrator

Check if file is present in /arch/boot/syslinux on device... you could always cp file over from your own install/archbang

Are you using a separate /boot partition?

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2013-11-05 07:24:07

rabbit

MrG,  "/arch/boot/syslinux/vesamenu.c32" is present on the iso ie. usb-key; but during boot sequence an error reports it as missing.  I did an 'ls' on the usb-key and find this file present.  I never reached the live openbox screens when booting the live-usb iso by using munch.  However, using 'dd' on the usb-key results in successful boot sequence.

Are you referring to separate /boot partition on my "target" PC [and also the laptop that prepared the usb-key] ?  No, my 3 partitions are /,  /home,  and swap on both PC.  Thank you.

Last edited by rabbit (2013-11-05 07:29:39)

#6 2013-11-05 09:00:56

Mr Green
Administrator

Try other options in boot menu, if you can get to a console prompt it will at least mean system is starting.

#7 2015-01-16 15:42:01

ryanjosephmiller

I know this is an old thread- but was wondering where I could find munch these days- it seems unavailable on github.

#8 2015-01-17 01:21:50

Mr Green
Administrator

It is an old thread, did not really get much interest so removed project. If I have time I will see if I still have code. Be aware it may not work with Arch now...

If I remember it added persistence, that allows you to install packages make and save changes to system back too usb device. Because it is still using image of iso you cannot install a newer kernel or run mkinitcpio. My other script gloopy sovled this by unpacking iso image too device essentially a full system on a usb device. Of course you need more room for this method but most modern usb drives have plenty of space on them.

Hope that helps

#9 2015-01-17 22:13:41

ryanjosephmiller

Thanks for the reply Mr Green! I'll definitely check out Gloopy!

#10 2015-04-03 07:21:31

Chrysostomus

Greetings!
Mr. Green, I'd also be interested in munch if you still have it available somewhere. Or failing that, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers on how to add persistence manually. I've been developing bspwm respin for manjaro, and possibility of adding persistence would be very beneficial. Especially since I never got the installer working on custom iso...

So far I've found no proper solution for arch based distros.   Or arch related threads seem to lead to suggestion to install on usb, which is not quite the same thing. Alphaos nice persistence tools on iso, but as far I know, it depends on custom kernel and aufs.

#11 2015-04-03 13:03:00

Mr Green
Administrator

Why not create a file on target system and format it and load that? Or you will need to use gloopy, it will allow you do the same on an external drive....

Take a look at Lastmin script, it scans kernel command line options then act under them...

Mail me if you need any more help, might be an interesting feature to add too ArchBang

#12 2015-04-04 01:59:12

Mr Green
Administrator

I just remembered archsio comes with persistence settings, something you may have already looked at. You could set som defaults in your bootloader to maybe load or look for files,devices etc.

#13 2015-04-04 10:09:23

Mr Green
Administrator

Just tested on live i686, adding the following too kernel line after running

# e2label /dev/sda1 ArchBang

To my internal hard drive (this of course can be changed to suit)

Then on booting hit tab and add:

cow_label=ArchBang
cow_persistent=P 

I have now got a live session with any desktop changes saved after boot, my wifi connection is setup from boot.

The main reason I did not run with this under ArchBang (long time ago when I wrote munch) was that I felt an installed system would always have the advantage of being fully functioning. Kernel updates are not possible live, not too mention you are still running a compressed image which is still slower than full install.

#14 2015-04-05 01:30:10

Chrysostomus

Many thanks!

Full install is probably faster, but to my understanding also causes more wrotes to disk, takes more space and does not function as easily on different machines. So horses for courses I guess.

#15 2015-04-05 02:14:59

Mr Green
Administrator

That is of course very true, however I am sure that with TRIM support you could reduce write issues, possibly run from ram? Afraid I do not have a multitude of systems I can test on to see if machine specs affect installs too usb. Most modern usb sticks are 8Gb+ these days, just ordered a 64gb micro usb stick (by accident!) ArchBang is still pretty light at 1.5Gb (do not quote me on that!!!) then you could remove all the heavy stuff too, gtk3, grub, firefox ....

Board footer