You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-31 08:09:09

giraffeheart

Persistence question for Live system

Dear ArchBang Community
I'm looking into ArchBang as an option to do the following:

I would like to create a live system to run from USB that would allow me to run a script at boot time or when a network interface comes up.   I will also need to have a custom piece of software installed so that root execute the script without error at boot time.

Is this possible with ArchBang? 

My understanding is that I could also do a full install on a USB device, but that this would have some disadvantages.

Many Thanks,
Chris

#2 2013-03-31 12:32:15

Mr Green
^! Developer

Re: Persistence question for Live system

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

#3 2013-04-01 21:05:29

giraffeheart

Thank you Mr. Green.  I'm not sure from the description what munch does, I read the code but I'm not enough of a bash programmer to get it all.   Does this create a Live distribution with persistence of the whole OS?  If so, that's excellent because it would still run in RAM and I wouldn't have to do a full install.   

Sorry for my very Green  newbie questions... but you are, after all, Mr. Green.

#4 2013-04-02 01:36:15

Mr Green
^! Developer

There are (too complicate the issue) two versions. One created a persistence file that allows most settings to be saved and restored during booting. For example you might want chrome over firefox then chrome could be installed and would still be available on next boot. Any config changes themes/icons even window manager could be changed.

The only thing you cannot change or update with this method is the kernel itself.

Munch2 was different as it not only allows the everything to be updated and changed, it allows the whole of usb drive to used rather than the extra space wasted when using dd.

Option could be added if required but subject to the system ram available (>2Gb)

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

#5 2013-04-03 16:34:22

giraffeheart

Thanks for your response.   All I want to do is run some scripts either at boot time or when a network interface comes up, and so I doubt that would be a kernel change.
With 4GB available, I think I'll be in good shape.
Thanks for your help!

Board footer