You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-12 05:06:04

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Archbang vs Manjaro/Openbox, lets compare choices and experiences

I'm quite fed up with distrohopping.
As I find AB good enough as an easy Arch install medium I didn't feel the urge to try Manjaro till now. But I will do it now for this post.
But first  I want to make clear, that there are some things I really like about the Manjaro project.

The central aspect is that I have thought many a times, that Arch in a way is really easy;
with some extra instruction it could be made useful for a much larger user group.
Of course you are thinking about some friends etc. that I wouldn't suggest AB because of its difficulty.
But after the very bumpy change to systemd and bin to usr  bin and  some other update calamities I gave up on the whole idea. Arch devs seem(ed?) to have lost control.
And I wouldn't like to expose friends to the general hostility towards noobs in the Arch community too.

Still I find it a really generous attempt of the people over at Manjaro to take on this task of making Arch more accessible and am impressed with what they have accomplished so far.
Here on the forums we had some discussion if it would be a good idea to open Arch more and I remember that ArchVortex really was against the idea.
I don't have a fixed opinion about it, I want to explore this more.

My own feelings are mixed especially about providing a gui for pacman as default, pamac.
I find the feedback given by pacman really one of the most essential benefits from Arch and here on the forums I always discourage people to use a gui for pacman.
Of course, everybody can use pacman in Manjaro, but the educational choice has been made to learn the default user to manage package management with pamac (http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Using … _Beginners). This is on first sight the greatest problem I have with Manjaro.
For the rest I do find gui's useful in a lot of cases; I hardly do any file management from the terminal for instance, probably also because I'm lousy typist. Just to make clear I'm not the regular terminal geek.

Choice for stability

Holding packages for some time (a month? a week?) to lessen update problems and increase stability is also an important aspect of Manjaro.
I'm curious about the experiences with that and especially if it doesn't give problems when installing from AUR. PKGBUILD are often very soon updated after a change in package naming/update; dependency handling in the PKGBUILD can get impossible for a certain period of time; in recent example it the change to naming some dependencies qt4 in stead of qt after the release of qt5 in the Arch repos om March the 3 .
I don't worry so much about the security aspect of it. I trust that really essential updates like that for web browsers or flash will be used as soon as possible.
My own experience that with using the stable repos from Arch and a quiet update scheme you can avoid a lot of problems. I think to have as few update problems as possible a weekly update is wise in AB. People with a lot of update problems tend to update once or twice a day.
Another feature are the multiple kernels. Having installed kernel-lts has proven for me to have some great benefits. I'm amazed Manjaro isn't using the linux-lts  kernel as default.

to be continued
p.s I saw  today that the qt5 update had already been passed to manjaro repo's (seen next post)

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2013-03-12 08:36:35

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Archbang vs Manjaro/Openbox, lets compare choices and experiences

Doing a live session with 084 openbox edition  64 bits:
When starting up pamac automatic updates the system  with -nice- this info message:

libgl will be replaced by mesa-libgl
gummiboot-efi will be replaced by gummiboot
qt will be replaced by qt4
lib32-libgl will be replaced by lib32-mesa-libgl
lib32-libglapi will be replaced by lib32-mesa

Want to check out some installed packages with dmenu; no dmenu?? openbox without dmenu is like a tv without remote control.

Try to install via pamac; nothing happens, no error feedback.
So I go to terminal and use pacman.
After I unlocked the database by deleting var/lib/pacman/db.lck (reminded via feedback by pacman):

sudo pacman -S dmenu
:: The following packages should be upgraded first :
    pacman
:: Do you want to cancel the current operation
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n] y

etc

Midori is a real pain in the ass as it crashes every time I try to copy some text with selecting and a right click; also it is not possible for some reason to login here on the AB forums.

Want to try out pamac again; get error message pamac is already running, although I closed it.
with dmenu I find out pamac is pamac-check-updates pamac-manager pamac-tray and pamac- updates
Kill each one of them, still running. Try htop to see what is running, no htop, install htop, nothing running recognizable as related to  pamac; give up...
Conclusion: pamac is a catastrophe for me; just like midori (never had luck with it)

For me essential apps like dmenu and  htop are not installed.

Openbox keybindings for starting applications are
terminal, synapse, appfinder, thunar, pamac-updater and pamac-manager, oblogout
A keyboard short cut for synapse OK with me,
but for appfinder: what happens is that you go from the keyboard to a mouse  menu to start an app?? This is like first taking your remote, then walking to the TV to set another channel by hand. Openbox is for me window management and application control with the keyboard keys and the best app for this is dmenu (or is it difficult to learn? I don't think so).
Synapse can't find lxappearance, never has this problem with dmenu.

First impression manjaro openbox edition is that it is a very difficult OB edition for an ABer like me; sorry, was hoping to be able to be more positive.
I have to first understand how things are simplified before I am able to solve a problem. This was my problem with ubuntu too.
This says everything about me as user and can't be generalized of course.

To end with a more positive note: everything looks fantastic, nice wall and theme set up are all working together to create something that is really a pleasure to see; top-notch: nice theme greenbird with faenza green icon theme; window border shiki-nouveau-wisedust, very,very nice.
Also compton is used with nice effects although the shadow option could be used better..but that is a matter of taste.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#3 2013-03-12 11:21:03

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

pablokal wrote:

First impression manjaro openbox edition is that it is a very difficult OB edition for an ABer like me; sorry, was hoping to be able to be more positive.

This is why I am trying to get a "how to" for getting something very close to ArchBang using the Manjaro net install.  Just need the time!

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#4 2013-03-12 13:44:08

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I'm curious what kind of choices you want; what defines Manjaro for you? Pamac or the multiple kernels or solely the  repo's ?
Do you want to replicate the AB set up on based on the Manjaro repo's? And then which AB setup?
The one of September is already quite different from that of March.
Do you want to use Manjaro's multiple kernel or the Linux-lts kernel or the latest Arch stable?
Do you want the AB look or the Manjaro one? Etcetera.
Or do you want to provide all the options? Or just more choices on some options?

If I were to build from a netinstall based on the Manjaro repo's I would keep Manjaro's looks.
But the choice of applications would be quite different.
Firefox instead of midori; dmenu and htop; I would forget about quite a lot that Manjaro has build into it. I like the very basic choice of AB atm.
I would leave out pamac.
I wonder if what Carl is trying with the openbox lite edition wouldn't come near to what you or I are looking for:
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topi … 1#msg21501

#5 2013-03-12 15:11:38

CarlD

Nice critique! Before I respond to the points you made, I feel it would be worthwhile explaining my thinking behind the Manjaro Openbox 0.8.4 release.

In a nutshell, it is intended to:

1.) Be user-friendly to introduce newcomers to Openbox
2.) Be a full desktop environment that can compare to the likes of XFCE
3.) Do something different with Openbox, including focusing on the use of a semantic launcher rather than a typical menu.

This is why, for example, I included a lot of GUI tools, and chose apps like the gnome-system-monitor over the likes of HTop. I also wanted a good-looking DE. In creating this, I also knew that by breaking a few OB conventions, existing OB enthusiasts may not take to it too well. But then a main selling point of OB is how versatile it is. Anyway, I'll respond to some of your points:

1.) Pamac is still very much a work in progress, and is getting updated almost daily. Overall it works very well, though I think you encountered a particular issue where it couldn't handle a particular update at the time. Don't forget that Manjaro itself is also still in a beta stage of development!

2.) Midori was included just to have a browser there. You may notice that the 32-bit ISO is 700MB exactly. No room for anything else and to keep it CD size.

3.) I personally found that Appfinder works just as well with a keyboard as with as a mouse. It was included as Synapse does not allow you to browse installed apps, and the root-menu was just for shortcuts / configs. Had no previous experience of DMenu before, although upon using it, I really like it. Nice suggestion - thank you!

4.) Glad you like the overall look of the DE. I probably spent more time tweaking that than anything else.

5.) I'm surprised that you didn't notice that I neglected to add keybindings for volume and brightness.

Anyway, developing this Openbox flavour was quite the learning experience for me. I built on this in respect to the Openbox-Lite flavour, which - in my opinion - is a vast improvement. It is also a lot closer to Archbang / traditional OB environments. However, I am not sure what is happening with it at the moment, as the ISO file is too large. This is even despite stripping out everything except the kitchen sink. I think some changes have been made by the other devs to the base-system, where about 150MB or so extra weight has been added for some reason. In fact, despite providing less apps at the moment than the 0.8.3 release, it is still about 100MB heaver!

Last edited by CarlD (2013-03-12 15:12:47)

#6 2013-03-12 15:56:21

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I will try appfinder another time; I seem to have used it the wrong way.

Sorry to hear that the AB-lite got too heavy.
I hear Mr. Green always complaining on how difficult it is to make the iso smaller which he wants to do but isn't able to because of some basic package getting a lot bigger, last time it was mesa. Is Linux getting bloated ; what is it?
Do you know urukrama's openbox guide; http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/
It is wonderful (not only because I did my first openbox install and configuration on an ubuntu base from there but) because by the way he goes into the different topics you can develop more affinity with the essence of Openbox which I find difficult to put down in a few words.

Regarding the user friendliness for new openbox users. I don't agree with you here.
I think OB offers  quite a different user interface which can be extremely powerful and productive .
But there is a learning curve.
Regarding configuration, regarding setting up keybindings and learning to use them in a daily basis. The danger is when you don't confront new OB users with this potential they will think that OB is a DE which is minimal while it is very powerful and really maximal.
Every time when I work with  another DE without the key short cuts I'm used to, I feel like my hands are tied.
So my idea of making ideal OB  set up for new users would be to offer users an OB set up that offers all the potential and offering good documentation to help them to learn it , but also a conky to learn to memorize key short cuts.

#7 2013-03-13 06:13:55

Mr Green
^! Developer

pablokal wrote:

Mr. Green always complaining

Me never....

#8 2013-03-13 06:54:07

handy

I guess my Manjaro experience is fairly unique, as I just made Manjaro how I'd make any Arch install - which is of course just the way I personally like it to be. smile

I initially installed the Manjaro Gnome/Cinnamon system (had never seen Cinnamon) then deleted Gnome/Cinnamon & other stuff & installed Openbox, Worker & the other apps that I like to use. Played around with it a little & have a very slightly different system than I've been using for years, which I prefer.

I've never seen any of the various pacman GUI related apps. I just use allservers.sh when I upgrade & these days a yaourt alias when I install a package (from the stable repo or from AUR).

The QT thing caused me to loose a couple of AUR packages that I very rarely use anyway. So I don't mind waiting until the maintainers get there act together.

My 4 months of Manjaro usage has basically been very easy going. I have the advantage of not using the Manjaro package management apps. They are still in heavy development (some have become redundant & been replaced by new more powerful tools).

I think that using these apps is the most likely place for a Manjaro user to find trouble in these early days of the distro. Which is a bit unfortunate for the new(ish) Linux users that have been attracted to Manjaro, as they often don't understand what a rolling release system is, to start with, or that using a distro requires a person to do a little searching & reading. Coming from Windows they are all of a sudden thrown into a community that actually helps each other out of the goodness of their hearts!

You can imagine, they are often quite disorientated. lol Some will never be the same! big_smile

#9 2013-03-13 15:06:56

CarlD

pablokal wrote:

I will try appfinder another time; I seem to have used it the wrong way.

Sorry to hear that the AB-lite got too heavy.
I hear Mr. Green always complaining on how difficult it is to make the iso smaller which he wants to do but isn't able to because of some basic package getting a lot bigger, last time it was mesa. Is Linux getting bloated ; what is it?
Do you know urukrama's openbox guide; http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/
It is wonderful (not only because I did my first openbox install and configuration on an ubuntu base from there but) because by the way he goes into the different topics you can develop more affinity with the essence of Openbox which I find difficult to put down in a few words.

Regarding the user friendliness for new openbox users. I don't agree with you here.
I think OB offers  quite a different user interface which can be extremely powerful and productive .
But there is a learning curve.
Regarding configuration, regarding setting up keybindings and learning to use them in a daily basis. The danger is when you don't confront new OB users with this potential they will think that OB is a DE which is minimal while it is very powerful and really maximal.
Every time when I work with  another DE without the key short cuts I'm used to, I feel like my hands are tied.
So my idea of making ideal OB  set up for new users would be to offer users an OB set up that offers all the potential and offering good documentation to help them to learn it , but also a conky to learn to memorize key short cuts.

Well, I'm going to release it anyway. And yes, Urukrama's guide was instrumental in first learning how to use Openbox! I even posted a "thank you" comment there. Now in the process of writing my own. It's hard.

#10 2013-03-13 15:11:03

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Success and keep us informed about your progress with Manajaro OB-lite!

#11 2013-03-13 20:06:31

mike4ca

pablokal wrote:

I'm curious what kind of choices you want; what defines Manjaro for you? Pamac or the multiple kernels or solely the  repo's ?
Do you want to replicate the AB set up on based on the Manjaro repo's? And then which AB setup?
The one of September is already quite different from that of March.
Do you want to use Manjaro's multiple kernel or the Linux-lts kernel or the latest Arch stable?
Do you want the AB look or the Manjaro one? Etcetera.
Or do you want to provide all the options? Or just more choices on some options?

If I were to build from a netinstall based on the Manjaro repo's I would keep Manjaro's looks.
But the choice of applications would be quite different.
Firefox instead of midori; dmenu and htop; I would forget about quite a lot that Manjaro has build into it. I like the very basic choice of AB atm.
I would leave out pamac.
I wonder if what Carl is trying with the openbox lite edition wouldn't come near to what you or I are looking for:
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topi … 1#msg21501

My install will differ from the standard AB because of some of my software choices.  But I was planning on having the how to replicate the program selection and configuration of AB.  I would reference the AB wiki as much as possible (assuming I keep that up to date).  But what I was looking for mostly was the stability of Manjaro's repos (hoping they will be more stable).

#12 2013-03-20 21:16:43

lrcaballero
Website

@ CarlID

Carl, just wanted to thank you for the great job you and the other devs have done with Majaro, I am running OB-Lite (after trying the OB 0.8.4) and is mighty fast, made some changes to the tint2rc, got rid-off Conky, added different icons, themes, removed other apps I didn't need, etc.etc. BTW I love the synapse app...very handy it eliminates the use of a OB menu in my opinion...

I am enjoying my-self very much...It feels just like my AB! install.

1581a1244533512.jpg

Cheers

NOTE: I apologies, going through new threads this morning I just realized that I uploaded the wrong screenshot last night...The screenshot is from Manjaro OB 0.8.4 and NOT OB-Lite as I mentioned above...Will upload new screenshot tonight.

Last edited by lrcaballero (2013-03-21 09:55:48)

Live, Enjoy and Share

#13 2013-03-21 04:59:58

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yes, I downloaded and burned it and did a live session that looks good.
During a live session it seemed  to take longer to load.

Installing went easy and not much difference with Archbang.A slightly different menu when giving root password and creating user and user password.
Setting up the locale is also a bit different.
A important difference is that you can install the bootloader grub 2 in the own manjaro partition and you can prevent grub 2 overwriting the mbr by pointing to its own partition; you will get an error but at least your mbr can be updated in the way you want and won't be overwritten, something that is not possible in Archbang. Something to learn from Manjaro.
Installed I don't perceive any differences in speed with AB; it is snappy and the theme set up is so nice I leave it for the time being.

Dmenu
What I like is that dmenu is shown at the bottom of the screen (dmenu -b).
dmenu at the bottom, slightly different:
changed it in .conf/openbox/rc.xml  command from dmenu_run -i -b to
dmenu_run -fn -misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-200-*-*-*-*-*-*  -i -b -nf 'white' -sb 'brown' -nb 'black'
to have a larger font and other colors.

Htop is installed.

I don't like tint at the top of your screen.. When you change tint rc and put it at the bottom you will notice that the 28 pixels for the tint bar remain uncovered.
This is defined in /home/user/.config/openbox/rc.xml, line 156:

<margins>
    <top>28</top>

I have to change it to

<margins>
    <top>1</top>
   <bottom>29</bottom>

Very few keybindings are configured for starting up applications, terminal, filemanager, oblogout, dmenu. There are not many applications installed but leafpad (W_e) and one for viewnior (W_i) could be added.
I also use them for many of my fav applications like a second filemanager (W-s spacefm, w-f thunar),  vlc W-v, smplayer w-m, cd cat w-k, firefox w-w and chromium w-c, qbittorrent w-q etc.
In many distro's dmenu is configured with keybinding  alt-f3; here it is W-m; changed that directly.
Few keybindings for manipulating windows.
Geany is installed which is very nice when you are changing rc.xml in the code as I usually do.

Thunar is the default file manager; lxterminal the default terminal.

you can run a fine fast server script that is an fast way to run rankmirrors.
Parcellite isn't autostarted by default but an entry is in the autostart file, so that is easy to change.

Compton is active by default but its effects are not optimally used to my taste
The conf file is not in /home/user/ but in home/user/.conf
Changes I have made:
# Shadow
shadow = true;   
fading =true
and
#inactive-dim = 0.5;
to
inactive-dim = 0.3;

Firefox is not installed but you needn't install flashplugin after you install firefox.
arch-firefox-search-0.8.2-5 is not installed (just like I never got it into AB), while it is such a useful addition to using firefox.

Installing packer
The way to start using AUR could be made more easy; maybe with a menu link or so.
On the wiki page  yaourt is recommended by default, while I prefer packer.
So you wil have to install packer with yaourt or use the more complicated way:
You need fakeroot, git, jshon and base-devel

#pacman -S base-devel fakeroot git jshon

Download the PKGBUILD
and open terminal the folder where you put in and do

makepkg -sci PKGBUILD 

Move in terminal to where the package is build and do as root:

pacman -U packer-*.pkg.tar.xz

Suggestion: take packer in the manjaro repo or use the archbang repo for that.
Used packer to install adeskbar which is my fav dock that I use in a very minmal set up (no tasklist).

Solving time problem
I have to solve a time problem; using local time, I have an hour time difference (it is earlier than is shown). Had the same issue when installing AB so it is Arch related.
This is my code now in AB in etc/adjtime (how it should be):

-5.180210 1349900560 0.000000
LOCAL

Output:
timedatectl status | grep local
is
RTC in local TZ: yes

Output:
timedatectl status
      Local time: Thu 2013-03-21 20:55:29 CET
  Universal time: Thu 2013-03-21 19:55:29 UTC
        RTC time: Thu 2013-03-21 20:55:30
        Timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (CET, +0100)
     NTP enabled: no
NTP synchronized: no
RTC in local TZ: yes

You set time zone like this for example:

# timedatectl set-timezone Europe/Amsterdam

Installing with packer
I installed mplayer-vdpau-svn to see how the depedency problems work out in Manjaro.
This should be rather  risky, considering the very complicated build of mplayer. No problems at all!! Very good, Manjaro!!
Very little diappointments till now...

I edit the line in ~./.config.Trolltech.conf
to add the line
style=GTK+
but it is already there (give qt applications a gtk look) ; amazing, really quite complete in fine tuning..

I'm not really satisfied with the font rendering...my easy solution I use for this is to install fontmatrix and install a new set of fonts for which I mostly use Avenir LTD.

Installed spacefm with udevil as mounter.
have to add
devmon  &
to autostart
All in all hardly any thing of importance to complain about. Great job, Carl!
The biggest flaw would be the fonts, but I'm not easily satisfied; it is only aptosid that gave me satisfying font rendering after installation.

#14 2013-03-21 07:06:10

Mr Green
^! Developer

Still like the idea of W-d less of a stretch, if you autohide tint2 using dmenu at the base will be less messy. Unless both are of a similar size of course. Why would you want grub on a partition and mbr?, if you wanted to try out ArchBang why not install it (less bootloader) and simply add an entry to existing grub menu?

#15 2013-03-21 07:23:01

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Not on the mbr, an installed bootloader is something many people think is necessary to be able to boot the new system. So they feel that they have no choice. and have their mbr overwritten by default inAB wheb you install grub2.
I prefer to install it on the partition of the new install itself by default to so I can always delete an partition and be sure on another partition is a useful bootloader left. But I want the mbr not overwritten because I have a nice grub config in my active bootloader partition.
I never work in a virtual machine , I try everything on the hd.

#16 2013-03-21 08:35:23

Mr Green
^! Developer

Ok well I will look at including that option into abinstall. Cannot remember why we did not keep the menu for selecting where grub was to be installed.

Commit made for testing

Now I remember why

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … nless_Disk

Also have to look at device-mapper showing up in partition list....

#17 2013-03-21 16:00:22

CarlD

lrcaballero wrote:

@ CarlID

Carl, just wanted to thank you for the great job you and the other devs have done with Majaro, I am running OB-Lite (after trying the OB 0.8.4) and is mighty fast, made some changes to the tint2rc, got rid-off Conky, added different icons, themes, removed other apps I didn't need, etc.etc. BTW I love the synapse app...very handy it eliminates the use of a OB menu in my opinion...

I am enjoying my-self very much...It feels just like my AB! install.

http://thumbnails102.imagebam.com/24454/1581a1244533512.jpg

Cheers

NOTE: I apologies, going through new threads this morning I just realized that I uploaded the wrong screenshot last night...The screenshot is from Manjaro OB 0.8.4 and NOT OB-Lite as I mentioned above...Will upload new screenshot tonight.

More than welcome, my friend. Nice desktop, by the way!

#18 2013-03-21 20:04:08

mike4ca

Even though packages are held back a little and tested more, I still had a bad upgrade on my ManjaroBang!  Fortunately I had two kernels installed and listed on me GRUB(legacy) bootloader.  The other kernel is still ok.  I will have to see if I can recover.

#19 2013-03-22 05:57:15

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I don't get why they don't provide for the linux-lts kernel by default. That is a stability guarantee for sure.

#20 2013-03-24 15:37:34

CarlD

@ pablokal: Another excellent and extremely helpful review!

Fixed DMenu and the screen margins for the next release thanks to you.

As for the kernels, yes we focus on stability, but our community also wants the latest kernels. So - provided the kernels themselves are deemed stable enough - we'll give people what they want. Remember we support multiple kernels out of the box, so that's a big stability feature in itself!

Carl

Board footer