You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-07 09:33:26

Mr Green
Administrator

New phone

Everybody I know has got themselves the latest greatest mobile phones. Even my youngest daughter got an iphone for christmas. So I am walking around with a cheap HTC wildfire that has no hope of running ice cream sandwich.

Last week I saw an offer for a reconditioned Samsung S3 for a bargain price and bought it. When it arrived soon knew why it was so cheap, it did not work! Back it went so I started to search again. Yesterday after a mix up with my credit card company managed to order a brand new one at a good price. It is sitting here charging as I type.

All I have to do now is read the manual....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2013-03-07 12:30:35

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: New phone

We had something in common. I hate to be reachable when I'm out of the house and  I only take the mobile phone with me to be able to phone in case of accidents and/or problems with the car. It is the cheapest nokia you can imagine. And only my wife has the number.
I do have a tablet though with ICS but not a possibility to phone and that is no coincidence....I was an early adapter of MSM and soon realized how I was wasting my time and decided to keep away from the social media.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2013-03-07 12:36:23

Mr Green
Administrator

Well seven years ago I had a cheap mobile phone in the car for just emergencies never really used it all. Now I look around me people can not live without them. Even while driving. People talk, text, facebook and tweet all the time. My needs are to keep in touch with family and friends besides that it has a better camera (more powerful than my old SLR). A new toy to play with...

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2013-03-07 12:50:21

shengchieh
Website

How much are you paying a carrier?  Want to go super cheap?

I have a prepaid smartphone (be sure data is off) on Page Plus Cellular (use CDMA Verizon network) via dealer Kitty Wireless for $10/120 days or $30.42/yr.
You probably can go cheaper to $25/yr on GSM prepaid if you hunt around.

I use a Palm Pixi Plus, an obsolete smartphone.  Now-a-day you can get new one under $45 or so.

Sheng-Chieh

#5 2013-03-07 14:01:26

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Cosy bunch of dinosaurs over here cool

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#6 2013-03-07 14:46:49

oliver
Administrator

shengchieh wrote:

I use a Palm Pixi Plus, an obsolete smartphone.  Now-a-day you can get new one under $45 or so.

I loved my palm pixi... webOS with preware is a beautiful thing.  The only downside was it took literally 5 minutes to boot

#7 2013-03-07 14:50:46

Mr Green
Administrator

Nearly as quick as your Aquarius .....

#8 2013-03-07 15:22:09

Alaska

i just ordered a Star N7000+ from China smile only for 129,99 Euro....i hope it will be delivered soon.....it is my third android phone and is fully rootable....so lets get ready to hack! smile

#9 2013-03-07 16:15:42

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

Nearly as quick as your Aquarius .....

10 print "aquarius rules"
20 goto 10
run

Good times... until you got the annoying "syntax error line xxx"

#10 2013-03-07 20:40:16

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

I only have a "dumb" phone for work and my wife has a cheap and "dumb" Tracfone that we bought many years ago.  People are amazed that someone as geeky as me does not have a "smart" phone.  But when they complain about not having enough money (because of monthly fees), not having enough time (because they are constantly playing with their phone), or needing to charge their devices frequently I start to wonder who has the real "smart" phone. smile

I also feel sorry for kids today as I watch most parents play with their phone instead watching their kids (events, parks, dining, etc.).

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#11 2013-03-07 23:02:22

Mr Green
Administrator

Was not attached to my last phone like some who seem never to be able to put theirs down. The thing that gets my back up is people who talk on there phones while at the checkout.

Here you go

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/07/alcatel-u … 2-3532243/

#12 2013-03-07 23:35:25

handy

I've never had a mobile phone account. I've had two smart phones, (one was a gift from an old customer who had to upgrade from his O2xda2) the other is an iPhone, which I carry around & use as an iPod (for contacts, notes & audio books) my wife gave it to me when she upgraded her iPhone.

I don't want a phone. Rarely use one at home & next to never need to use one when I'm out. I can see that there are benefits if you have a car problem & such. Though where I live & a lot of the places I travel through, there is no mobile coverage anyway!

When the coverage improves I'll probably go for a <$10/month plan, I suppose.

#13 2013-03-08 07:28:26

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Isn't this amazing that we seem to share it, this rather rare  indifference to to being 'in touch' everywhere you go?
It must be a psychological pattern, that we have this in common!
*WARNING* Spoiler* Did you know I studied clinical psychology?

#14 2013-03-08 14:41:21

handy

I don't like having my thought processes (for all that they're worth these days!) interrupted. I don't listen to the radio, we have never had TV in this house in 23+ years that we have lived here. Previous to that when I was a farmer for ~4 years, I never had a TV (people used to offer to give me spare TV's that they had) & people couldn't understand why I didn't want one! lol

I'm repelled by the bullshit that comes out of the mouths of announcers everywhere. Let alone all of the other incredibly intense commercial bullshit. The perennial spin that comes from the news & other associated social commentary desks is just plain brain washing = get scared, stay lost, lonely & confused & buy more 'cause it will make you feel better & you'll fit in with everyone else...

Back to phones: Don't you love it when you are having a conversation with someone & their phone rings & they sit there, or walk away & have a conversation with someone else?

The attention span of the mobile phone generations (in combination with the effects of TV) must be measured in milliseconds. Fancy being a school teacher!

/bitch smile

#15 2013-03-08 14:57:16

Mr Green
Administrator

Dare I ask why you use a computer?

#16 2013-03-08 17:02:11

handy

~30 years ago I suffered a head injury (amongst other bits) that meant I could no longer be a farmer/outdoor worker. Suffering from chronic fatigue & a severely disrupted sleeping pattern on top of the chronic fatigue (great combo) my brain is always tired, often too tired to be fit for human verbal interactions.

BUT, my typing skills use different parts of the brain & allow me to be able to communicate much better using the written word than I now can verbally (even when at my best). It also doesn't matter how slow my mental computer is going at the time as when typing you prepare what you have to say & then send it. smile

I like to solve problems, I like to do things with my hands. So computers back in the 2nd half of the 1980's became my escape from feeling like a bucket of mud all the time. Focus out & forget about in.

Also, why computers - is that I can to a very large extent control what content on the net that I'm exposed to, as opposed to the mindless rubbish that most of what comes out of the commercial media markets consists of.

Last edited by handy (2013-03-08 17:03:57)

#17 2013-03-09 16:55:06

handy

@pablokal: I saw your reply last night but was too tired to answer at the time, thought I'd leave it until the morning. Anyway for whatever reason the post has been deleted, which is of course not a problem at this end.

I'll just say that I'm sorry to hear of your trauma all those years ago, & am grateful that you didn't get brain damage or damage your energy systems due to it. It sounded like you recovered from it very well, which is the only way to go. smile

#18 2013-03-10 04:51:36

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Anyway for whatever reason the post has been deleted, which is of course not a problem at this end.

I wanted to share it with you, but not with everyone, so that is the reason I deleted it.
Sharing is important because we can show the other person he is not totally alone in his suffering.
But as you will have experienced many people have a distorted view on such things and start projecting all kind of stereotypes and prejudices on you.

#19 2013-03-10 05:02:03

Mr Green
Administrator

I totally understand your reasons for removing your post. This is hardly the place for such discussions. As with most off topic threads subject goes off course very very quickly. Might be better off starting my own blog smile

#20 2013-03-10 05:18:02

handy

I understand your reasons pablokal.

Board footer