You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-05 13:00:49

CarlD

File manager tips

Well, I am a bit late to the party, but others may still find this useful.

To ensure that you file manager of choice is able to mount partitions and removable media, ensure you have the following packages installed:

sudo pacman -S gamin gvfs gvfs-afc

Note: These are only the basics, and other gvfs packages can be added for additional features, such as networking with Windows and Apple OSs.

Anyway, once installed, to automount removable media, either:

a) run your file manager in daemon mode by adding he appropriate line in the ~/.config/openbox/autostart file, e.g:

pacmanfm -d &

or

spacefm --daemon &

b) install udiskie and add that to the autostart file instead:

sudo pacman -S udiskie
udiskie &

I am currently in the process of writing a detailed article on configuring file managers, which may be of use to some.

#2 2013-03-05 16:54:34

CarlD

Re: File manager tips

Finished a detailed article on enabling full file manager functionality and features:

http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Getti … w_Managers

#3 2013-03-05 17:04:37

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I always use udevil from the same dev that made spacefm, IgnorantGuru.
Enable it in autostart with

devmon &

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2013-03-05 23:55:05

Mr Green
Administrator

Running SpaceFm live internal drives do not get listed until you do right click settings -- show -- internal drives. Being internal you are not able to mount them as user, which is not a bad thing from a security point of view. However a simple edit of udevil config file will allow it. Installed (on my laptop) seem to have access to them. Have not got gvfs or gamin packages installed.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2013-03-06 02:02:40

CarlD

Mr Green wrote:

Running SpaceFm live internal drives do not get listed until you do right click settings -- show -- internal drives. Being internal you are not able to mount them as user, which is not a bad thing from a security point of view. However a simple edit of udevil config file will allow it. Installed (on my laptop) seem to have access to them. Have not got gvfs or gamin packages installed.

Interesting. I'll take a look at this alternate set-up. Maybe update the wiki article to add a "minimalist" section or something. Udevil may certainly be added as an alternative to udiskie.

#6 2013-03-06 03:25:05

Mr Green
Administrator

As udevil is not tied to consolkit policykit still have

if [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ]; then
    eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi

in .xinitrc

and

dbus-launch spacefm -d &

in autostart (might be overkill)

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#7 2013-03-06 08:45:46

CarlD

Personally, I put all the dbus and gtk stuff in ~/.xprofile (wrote an article about it:  http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Getti … k_properly)

Like to keep that sort of thing tidied away in the "backend", and leave the autostart for the fun stuff.

#8 2013-03-06 09:09:45

Mr Green
Administrator

So used to setting up .xinitrc then .xprofile turns up.. I will check it out.

#9 2013-03-06 09:30:12

CarlD

Although SLiM sources .xinitrc, other popular DMs such as LXDM, Light-DM, GDM, and MDM completely bypass it. For new users, they instead source the bin directory, which contains the session / startup executables for installed window managers and desktop environments. This is why they are able to automatically detect the presence of new DEs and WMs.

Where replacing SLiM, there would then be trouble ahead. However, as all of them also seem to source .xprofile, it allows for the necessary "fixes" to be executed irrespective of the DM installed.

#10 2013-03-06 10:05:39

Mr Green
Administrator

Often though about switching from slim but just finding one light enough....

#11 2013-03-06 12:20:37

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

@CarlD, does the .xprofile work for non Window Manager user's like me?  Oddly enough, after I boot and login, I type in startx to get to the desktop.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#12 2013-03-06 14:17:37

mrmrn

CarlD wrote:

Well, I am a bit late to the party, but others may still find this useful.

To ensure that you file manager of choice is able to mount partitions and removable media, ensure you have the following packages installed:

sudo pacman -S gamin gvfs gvfs-afc

Note: These are only the basics, and other gvfs packages can be added for additional features, such as networking with Windows and Apple OSs.

Anyway, once installed, to automount removable media, either:

a) run your file manager in daemon mode by adding he appropriate line in the ~/.config/openbox/autostart file, e.g:

pacmanfm -d &

or

spacefm --daemon &

b) install udiskie and add that to the autostart file instead:

sudo pacman -S udiskie
udiskie &

I am currently in the process of writing a detailed article on configuring file managers, which may be of use to some.

thank. your guide solve my issue: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=4271
but when i use my usb flash It says:

"Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/aba/NEW VOLUME: Command-line `mount -t "vfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/aba/NEW VOLUME"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/sdb1 is already mounted or /run/media/aba/NEW VOLUME busy"

#13 2013-03-11 14:16:02

CarlD

Apologies for the late reply!

@ mike4ca: Hmm. Never tried it. If you have no intention of using a display manager, then it should be fine just to use .xinitrc to apply any fixes.

@ mrmrn: Seems like something is trying to access the USB stick while already mounted. Perhaps your file manager and udiskie may be conflicting? Try just running the file manager in daemon mode only. If you havte set thunar-volman to do something when inserted, remove that action.

Board footer