You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-21 18:00:00

handy

Getting blocked over at the Arch forums

I don't seem to be allowed to log in to the Arch forum any more, though my account still exists.

There had been some discussions on the Manjaro forum re. statements made about Manjaro on a certain Arch dev's blog. Also, around the same time there was a highly knowledgeable new user (different user name) who was posting (in a quite aggressive & disrespectful manner) correct statements about errors in the Manjaro core system. We'll never know if they are the same person.

I had some things to say about the attitude of "some" of the dev's, mod's & TU's on the Arch forum. (That "some" I consider to be a noisy minority.) Interestingly the particular dev who owned the blog, was NOT one of the ones who I considered to have a bad attitude!

Anyway, I think that perhaps my IP has been blocked at the Arch forum. I'm not going to bother changing my IP or otherwise mucking about due to this, as I rarely ever go there & I don't have anything to say. I only found out due to wanting to have some minor input in the OpenRC thread over there.

I did turn off all of my Firefox web security settings just to be sure I wasn't blocking myself. & it is also quite possible that I missed something. Though I'm not blocked from any of the other forums that I participate in...

It is quite possible that (due to a misunderstanding of the meaning of my words in forum posts in the Manjaro forum) I have been excommunicated from Arch! lol

Last edited by handy (2013-02-22 00:19:06)

#2 2013-02-21 21:57:05

throdon

Re: Getting blocked over at the Arch forums

yeah from what I saw the Arch forums are like the Gentoo forums. Mention Archbang/Sabayon leads to deletion.

#3 2013-02-22 03:01:29

Mr Green
Administrator

@Handy just waiting for that to happen to me too. Simply set up as a new user you will soon know if its ip block. Tend not to rant online waste of time and energy. I simply email Oliver smile

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2013-02-22 06:14:34

handy

Mr Green wrote:

@Handy just waiting for that to happen to me too. Simply set up as a new user you will soon know if its ip block. Tend not to rant online waste of time and energy. I simply email Oliver smile

Thanks for the good tip.

I was pretty much always well behaved on the Arch forums, it always seemed to me that being well behaved over there is a requirement. On the Manjaro forum I have been a diffusing element re. anti this or that. Negativity rarely breeds anything but more negativity.

I think that learning from our mistakes & moving on is the way to go. We all make mistakes, the trick is to turn them positive.

#5 2013-02-22 07:40:26

Mr Green
Administrator

Do not think its Arch mods fault they are simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of users and posts. Now add to that the need to establish a users install method [are they running pure Arch].

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2013-02-23 14:00:30

CarlD

handy wrote:

I was pretty much always well behaved on the Arch forums, it always seemed to me that being well behaved over there is a requirement. On the Manjaro forum I have been a diffusing element re. anti this or that. Negativity rarely breeds anything but more negativity.

I think that learning from our mistakes & moving on is the way to go. We all make mistakes, the trick is to turn them positive.

I learned that one the hard way!

Interesting to read that you may have been banned from the Arch forums, though. I'm not just a Manjaro user but a Manjaro dev, and yet here I am posting on the Archbang forums. I have also found Mr. Green to be a particularly wonderful chap.

Shame a small minority of others can't embrace the Opensource / collaborative philosophy. We (as Linux users) would be much stronger for it.

#7 2013-02-23 14:41:00

Mr Green
Administrator

@CarlD You are more than welcome here wink

#8 2013-02-25 18:45:28

handy

I just created a new user on the Arch forum. So its not my IP being blocked?
Perhaps it is my user name/email address, I used a different email address (probably necessary anyway).

I don't see why I can create a new account & login but I can't login my old tried & true user...?

Suppose I'm going to have to ask them.

[edit:]

I had closed my previous successful login, so on attempting to login a 2nd time I am denied as I am with my original Arch account?

I suppose I'll have to try & make a 3rd account & if successful I'll post my question & see what happens.

[edit2:]

Won't accept my 2nd attempt, no email with password.

I may now be considered by their server to be a spammer!

Last edited by handy (2013-02-25 18:54:59)

#9 2013-02-26 01:30:02

Mr Green
Administrator

Would suggest emailing an admin ...

#10 2013-02-26 06:00:48

handy

It really is well worth appreciating that this may all be somehow due to my system's setup. I don't understand how, but that doesn't mean a great deal.

I'm saying this in an effort to minimise generating any Arch negativity over here, this may very well be a fur ball that I've created on my own system!

Also, I don't know if I'm all that pleased that my earlier post has caused a new thread to be split off, especially with its current topic. I really don't think that it does anything to further positive relations with Arch.

Last edited by handy (2013-02-26 06:03:08)

#11 2013-02-26 06:03:17

Mr Green
Administrator

There is no Arch negativity I will not allow it smile

@handy fire up a live iso and test log in via that...

#12 2013-02-26 06:34:49

handy

I'll do that tomorrow. Time for bed now... smile

#13 2013-02-26 21:41:58

shengchieh
Website

handy wrote:

Anyway, I think that perhaps my IP has been blocked at the Arch forum. I'm not going to bother changing my IP or otherwise mucking about due to this, as I rarely ever go there & I don't have anything to say. I only found out due to wanting to have some minor input in the OpenRC thread over there.

An easy way to use a different IP is to tails (a privacy linux distro) liveCDUSB.

Sheng-Chieh

#14 2013-03-01 06:24:10

handy

I just booted up a Sabayon Live disk & could use the new account that I made the other day. I logged in & out a few times with no trouble. I can't use my original account though. I had a look at the simple profile that a non-owner of an account can see & it doesn't say I've been banned.

When I feel motivated to I'll email Misfit138, as over the years (not for some time now though) we had some email communication - not just relating to computer shit. He's a pretty cool frude in my book. smile

@Sheng-Chieh: Thanks for the heads up on that one I'll take note of it.

Last edited by handy (2013-03-01 06:25:40)

#15 2013-03-09 12:45:18

scjet

This is not about solving your (login/IP) problem directly, but If it's any consolation,
the Arch that we still used to know and love is always in our dreams, for now, even it means a couple of white lies',
or atleast until even that gets thrown into the "Dustbin" of time, which is wrong...., nevertheless,

-> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1241992 <-
wink

Last edited by scjet (2013-03-09 12:54:40)

#16 2013-03-09 12:59:31

Mr Green
Administrator

@scjet http://phraktured.net/arch-way.html

Aaron Griffin wrote:

We are, above all, a community oriented distro. Contributions and effort from the end users should never be discouraged.

And

Judd Vinet wrote:

It is what you make it

#17 2013-03-10 04:22:24

pablokal
Administrator
Website

he Arch Way is a document that has been around for some time. It defines the core Archlinux philosophy - what makes us tick.

Here is my take on that document. My version of what we provide the user.

In short, the Arch Way is about simplicity and giving control to the user. Keeping things simple, and agile.

Arch is lightweight and simple, like clay - able to be molded by the user as they choose.

Arch is not a distribution made for "user friendliness". It is a distribution designed to be a platform - a "base" for the user to do what they want. This means that we don't try to force a user's hand into our way of doing things, with our configuration tools, and our ideas. It should be about their ideas.

It is important who controls the system here: the user. Developers suggest things, and push in certain directions, but let the user do as they wish.

Arch is a base for anyone to make into whatever they see fit. Arch is a tool.

Use it well

Furthermore, the driving philosophy behind Arch is provided in this document. Here, again, is my take on this (really just reworded).

Keep It Simple, Stupid: A simple design is usually the most elegant (See also Occam's Razor)

'Simple' is defined from a technical standpoint, not a usability standpoint. It is better to be technically elegant with a higher learning curve, than to be easy to use, and technically crap.

Relying on complex tools to manage and build your system is going to hurt the end users. Maintenance and upgrading should be an active process, not a passive one.

"If you try to hide the complexity of the system, you'll end up with a more complex system". Layers of abstraction that serve to hide internals are never a good thing. Instead, the internals should be designed in a way such that they NEED no hiding.

We can't help you. Yes this is a philosophical point. Every Arch user is expected to be able to help themselves - to be able to look up information, configuration files, bugs, etc. You're expected to be able to do a little research when you have a problem. Teach a man to fish, and all that.

We are, above all, a community oriented distro. Contributions and effort from the end users should never be discouraged.

Unlike other distros, Arch is not primarily concerned about the user. The user is important, sure, but most important are simplicity and elegance. The user is important as long as it does not interfere with these doctrines.

"It is what you make it" -- Judd Vinet

There isn't much here I disagree here,it is more that  would add some things.
Maybe  we are more Arch than Arch  itselfatm.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#18 2013-03-10 05:22:59

handy

It recently occurred to me that since Arch has gone systemd, the importance of doing a Beginners' Guide install has been diminished quite a bit.

I wonder if the Beginners' Guide will eventually include a systemd Units tutorial?

#19 2013-03-10 05:46:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Very surprised that my account has not been closed there years ago.

"It is what you make it" -- Judd Vinet

We do smile

#20 2013-03-13 18:27:09

handy

I received an email from Allan last night. He said he can see no reason why I would be blocked over at Arch. So it would seem that I've done something strange on my machine at some point in time & blocked myself. <doh!>

I'll delve into that one again when I'm feeling energetic.

Allan also mentioned as an aside that he is not the Manjaro user called Loonix.

For those that don't know, Loonix caused a bit of a stir a while back in the Manjaro forum. I'm sure that at least Carl will be happy to hear this. smile

I'm grateful that Allan contacted me re. these things - now we can put them (& associated stuff) to bed.

Last edited by handy (2013-03-13 18:28:10)

#21 2013-03-14 00:35:21

Mr Green
Administrator

Amongst his rantings he does have a valid point while we do use bash to adjust certain config files we do not touch anything post install. pacnew,pacsave files are there for a reason. Pacman generally does not overwrite system files it is left to the user to edit,adjust,configure at their leisure.

Board footer