You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-21 01:29:00

Mr Green
Administrator

On Manjaro Openbox edition, a first evaluation

Looks like I am out of a job

manjaro.jpg

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2013-01-21 04:23:58

scjet

Re: On Manjaro Openbox edition, a first evaluation

phre4k wrote:

Why don't you use staged packaging like Manjaro does? You can have your own repository...
They also have an OpenBox version now. As it is relatively new, ArchBang may cooperate. I don't think Archers should work against each others. The hipster Arch users do so. I use Arch since 5 years now and I sense that the community and the Distro as itself isn't as friendly as it was to new users.

The thing is Archbang "really" is Arch+Openbox, a lot of us here, like to stay, and follow, with the latest Arch repo's, whereas Manjaro is more similar to Chakra.
I've have nuthin' against arch distro's like Manjaro, and Chakra, however, sometimes Manjaro packages will sit around for weeks, before they get updated/bug-proofed. ?

AB is a true Rolling-Release, Manjora is Rolling-release too, but because of dependencies to "their" repo's -I would say it's not-so Rolling afterall.

AB is a small team of very devoted and helpful devs, mods,... and taking care of separate repo's, and the testing involved is a lot of work. Having our own repo's can be great,
but sometimes, having your own repo can be a hazardous affair -especially if it isn't "constantly" maintained, ... ?
- but I guess that's the million dollar question.

Last edited by scjet (2013-01-21 04:27:46)

#3 2013-01-21 04:52:01

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

LoL. Mr. G,
you are the "Bang!" in Arch.  In fact, AB is the original Arch+Openbox.

Actually, I find it complimentary that, Manjaro, and some other fine Arch distro's are also providiing an "Openbox" derivative.
Yep, that's probably because "Openbox" kicks the crap outta'  KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, Gnome, ... !
big_smile

#4 2013-01-21 05:06:48

pablokal
Administrator
Website

manjaro-openbox-0.8.3-x86_64.iso  2013-01-14     729.8 MB

Where does all that fat come from??
Makes me quite suspicious and makes clear that the whole philosophy of Manjaroo is totallly different from AB.
They provide a full and filled envronment, in which most is decided for the user, while AB provides a minmal starting point.
That's something totally different.
That whole synapse story is also too much xfce like and

Thunar – the default file manager – has all the extra features usually found in XFCE

I find this very funny:

Custom short-cut keys to instantly launch core applications and options

Somebody discovered the rc.xml file; wooow!  This remark shows openbox environment is something quite exotic for the manjaro people.

Ergo AB is still unique, ergo, Mr. Green you are not out of a job...sorrry...

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#5 2013-01-21 05:22:36

Mr Green
Administrator

That was the first thing that threw me, not having a root menu like ours [openbox-menu]. Going to dissect at some point, find the fat. Will say it is very slick looks wise and they do have some nice touches. Let me see what I can borrow smile

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2013-01-21 06:30:51

Mr Green
Administrator

Grabbed some files and now my desktop looks like this....

2013_01_21_1358771188_1360x768_scrot.jpg

#7 2013-01-21 07:54:01

pablokal
Administrator
Website

And even with all the fat there is no dmenu, no spacefm. Let alone the great adeskbar. Not to be taken seriously; I won't even try.
See complete list here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro … t/download

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#8 2013-01-21 10:02:56

scjet

-Here's my quick take on manjaro-openbox-0.8.3-x86_64.iso:

All-in-all it's not bad, especially for an absolute noob user to Arch (hypothetically speaking), but Yes, there is quite a bit of "Fat" on Manjaro.  It seems also "their" yaourt is prefered over packer ?

On a not so minor note, setting X was a bit-o-pain for me,  I had to manually strip out a lot of  /usr/lib/libGL.so*, /usr/lib32/libGL,..., amogst other configs, ... in /etc/X11,/..., and some xorg libraries,
just to finally get "yaourt catalyst-total" to successfully install. ?
In the end though, it did work.
I can see a greater potential for breakage though, down the road, if things ever get too out of sync between Manjaro and AUR.

-> On Archbang, of course, it was just a simple, and fast "packer -S catalyst-total", reboot, Done.

All in all, and as you guys already mentioned, it really is trying to be a "full and filled envronment", and it's philosophy is more akin to Chakra rather than Arch+Bang!

It does have a couple slick things like "AppFinder" which will launch an installer to install certain packages. However, I found in the instance of libreoffice, good-old manual intervention was req'd to bring in openjdk* ... again, very minor.
"Synapse" is ok too, but i much prefer "mlocate"

I'm gonna play with it some more, but I still much prefer, getting my hands dirty, with Archbang.
I guess the a comparison might be:

AB = Standard 5-speed Honda, with OverDrive. (with good customizeable options)
Manjaro = Automatic 3-speed Honda, with Remote-Starting, Power Windows, and Air-Conditioning,...
?

We already discussed Manjaro's repo's versus the use of Archbang's default Arch repo's, and the pro's, and con's of both.

Now, aesthetically speaking, that's gotta be the most ugliest "GREEN" theme,..., that I have ever seen, out of an Openbox gate !!!
Ii's definitely for "Mr. Green's eyes only"  -but I highly doubt if even Mr. G would like it ?
wink

Last edited by scjet (2013-01-21 10:12:18)

#9 2013-01-21 10:22:52

Mr Green
Administrator

It does have a couple slick things like "AppFinder" which will launch an installer to install certain packages. However, I found in the instance of libreoffice, good-old manual intervention was req'd to bring in openjdk* ... again, very minor.
"Synapse" is ok too, but i much prefer "mlocate"

Ewwww smile

dmenu is far faster and lighter, a decent root menu and some well chosen keyboard shortcuts done!

I do like the green theme, not sure I could live with it for very long.

i3 is calling me ....

#10 2013-01-21 12:39:27

phre4k

Well, I did not try Manjaro, but I think it needs a bit of commerciality ;-)

Manjaro is the Ubuntu of the Arch based Distros, I think. Whereas you could compare Chakra to Kubuntu. I don't like their approach as they have far too many tools that aren't needed.

I don't even know where to start :-(
I would like to "buy" Manjaro and tell the people what to do, because what they are doing now only leads to a Ubuntu-ization of Arch which is bad as Ubuntu also takes the wrong approach. That's not what Linux is about... Manjaro is also developing AGAINST Arch and not with them, as the repos are incompatible as far as I see.

Why is that with everyone trying to have the best and shiniest Linux and not everyone trying to connect with others to create it? Linux is so modular and Manjaro, Chakra, Ubuntu and the like destroy that with abstraction.

#11 2013-01-23 17:54:35

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Reaction form Carl Duff:

Hi Chaps! I'm the Manjaro Openbox dev.

Firstly, thank you for your kind words, Mr. Green! I don't think you'll be out of a job any time soon, though - lol!

Secondly, to the Archbangers, Archbang and Manjaro cater to completely different elements of the Linux "community", so there isn't any competition or rivalry in my mind. Plus our respective Openbox incarnations seem to be going in different directions (i.e. the Manjaro version is likely to continue developing towards becoming a fully fledged, preconfigured DE for newcomers to get into it). I suspect a few Manjaro users will jump to Archbang once they become more experienced with Openbox. scjet summed it up well... except for our lovely green colour scheme!

Anyway, I'd like to take the opportunity to answer a few points raised here so far:

1. The "fat": This is the Manjaro Hardware Detection (mhwd) scripts and such. Note that the Net edition is about 450MB alone.

2. yaourt: It seems packer isn't maintained any more, and a few users reported problems using it. Shame, as many community members prefer packer, too.

3. rc.xml file excitement: I didn't get *that* excited about it - lol! I also wrote the release statement, and I guess it is easy to be enthusiastic about your own work!

4. Not using a typical root menu: All part of the concept and design. I wanted to do something different with Openbox, and loved the idea of using a searchbar instead. People who want something like Archbang can use Archbang!

5. Collaboration: The door is definately open! For example, we managed to fix the dbus-related FM and authentication issues, and would be more than happy to share this with you guys, etc. I think Archbang is great, and constantly had it in mind as *the* openbox benchmark during deveopment.

#12 2013-01-23 18:31:05

throdon

I have distrohopped all the major families of Linux. The ones I spent the most time on are Kubuntu and Sabayon. I have recently found Archbang to be as good or better for my needs than a full blown Distro like I have allready named.

I origanally came to Archbang because of Willinski's install openbox on Arch webpage. http://willensky.blogspot.com/2010/01/h … linux.html

I was hopping between CTKArch and Archbang when Archbang 2.00 was out distrohopped everywhere, came back and on the 29th of this month I will have Archbang installed for a full month on my netbook. Probably a personal best.

I have tried Manjoro openbox and Crunchbang and I gotta say there is something about Archbang that is better than both of these(crunchbang is old and Majaro is to simple like ubuntu/mint).

I want to try Arch Linux again and as soon as I can I will use Archbox to do it, But please continue to develop and perhaps promote Archbang and keep it around.

It's also a great live USB. If there was an easy way to add persistance and or install to an external hard drive then that would be sweet.

#13 2013-02-02 07:55:52

handy

Manjaro is as Arch as you want it to be. It offers a variety of great Arch based systems that are ready rolled for not necessarily very experienced Linux users, as well as allowing you to roll your own Manjaro using the net install, which comes with X.org & installs the correct drivers for your GPU (choice of proprietary or OS).

Apart from that you can uninstall & install whatever you want to completely change the system to suit yourself. (as I have done)

You can also use the Manjaro testing repos which are basically the Arch stable repos just fractionally delayed.

I use the Manjaro stable repos as I really don't care about being on the sharp edge of cutting these days... wink

For users that want to have an Arch system, but quickly, we certainly have quite a number of choices these days. Which is always a good thing, imho anyway...

Board footer