You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-02 03:48:32

hnoori

Persistence file system for Arch live where installed on a USB drive.

Dear Arch developer,
I installed Arch 2012.12.01 on a USB flash drive (using universal USB installer),
now I have a live lniux which can be booted from a usb port, everything works fine.
As you know in a live system no changes will be saved and every time that it rebooted
seems that I have a new Arch, I know that there are some way to install arch with a
persistence file-system on a usb key, also, I know that the live usb drive can be used to
put arch as a persistence system on another USB flash drive,
BUT I want to use this live usb archlinux to put arch as a persistence system on itself.

I mean, I’m looking to change somehow my live system to a persistence one,
i.e. create a virtual file system on the current USB flash drive then mount it to
some folder (e.g. /tmp) in the current linux then create folders as /home/USERNAME, /var, etc.
on it and link to the original one in the linux system and made a script which copy all data
on the live system to that (its symmetry on the) virtual file system, then during boot use
and copy data from it to the original system.

In this way every time system will boot it seems the changes are there and
I’m working on a persistence linux system.

Now I’m looking for suggestion and help for possibility and make such one.

Thanks,
Hassan

#2 2013-01-02 06:06:31

Mr Green
^! Developer

Re: Persistence file system for Arch live where installed on a USB drive.

Just to make clear are you talking about an install to a usb device or running ArchBang live from iso with persistence?

Either are of course possible more so in the first case. The second is not that difficult to do provided you do not want a built in solution. In that case iso would need to rebuilt or create a new bootloader for iso.

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

#3 2013-01-02 13:13:01

hnoori

Mr Green wrote:

Just to make clear are you talking about an install to a usb device or running ArchBang live from iso with persistence?

Dear Mr Green, Thanks for your response,
The second is my issue, indeed I have an iso image and I write it to a USB drive (using Universal Usb Installer)
Now I have a live system and I would to change it to a frugal install, which can save all of my change during every session.

Mr Green wrote:

Either are of course possible more so in the first case. The second is not that difficult to do provided you do not want a built in solution. In that case iso would need to rebuilt or create a new bootloader for iso.

I would learn more about Linux and persistence by doing so, meanwhile take me more info on how to
"rebuilt or create a new bootloader for iso".

regards,
hassan

#4 2013-01-02 15:19:17

Mr Green
^! Developer

For boot options in archiso this might help

https://github.com/djgera/archiso/blob/ … bootparams

I am not familiar with Universal Usb Installer so cannot offer much advice

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

Board footer