You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-23 14:10:58

jpr133

header and build files for vbox

I installed archbang to dual boot with windows 7 and it seems to be working great. I just want to install VirtualBox using the sh virtualbox.run command, after having download VB from oracle. When I run sh I get "error: Install header and build files for your linux distro." Uname -r gives me "3.3.4-1-Arch". I tried using pacman to install packages I need for builds, but nothing I do seems to fix the error. Any advice?
I also reinstalled Archbang fresh and updated with pacman -Syu.

Regards,
Jason

#2 2012-09-23 15:16:59

Ninja-1
Website

Re: header and build files for vbox

You should install it with the packages in the Arch repos. "sudo pacman -S virtualbox"

#3 2012-09-23 16:58:24

jpr133

Ninja-1, I tried that first. I get "virtualbox-archlinux-modules requires linux <3.4.

That's why I wanted to make it manually.

Regards,
JP

#4 2012-09-23 20:03:07

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

It looks like they changed things around for virtualbox.  I see some packages have changed names.  The virtualbox package was just updated today.  I would try "sudo pacman -Syy virtualbox".  The two y's will force the package list to refresh which should resolve the dependency issue.

Note, if you want to install a version from Oracle, then you may need some special packages so you can rebuild the kernel modules.  See the virtualbox wiki from arch (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … tom_kernel).  Here they are talking about if you run a special kernel.  However, I think it would apply to running a special version of virtualbox.  It appears to me the two really need to be built together and I recommend sticking with the Arch package.

Note, read through the rest of the virtualbox wiki, it has a lot useful information that may save you some frustration.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

Board footer