You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-26 19:12:34

addr

Hi

I have been using linux for a number of years now and I favour the 'box' windowmanagers - Openbox, Fluxbox and PekWm - so Archbang is a good fit.
I also like rolling distros - Arch, Debian testing, Sabayon and had settled mainly on Debian and Arch until the glibc thing poisoned the waters. I tried everything suggested in Arch with no success and decided to reinstall to find that Arch forced adoption of GRUB2 with no option to install to the partition root like Debian and Sabayon do. I have six different distros booting from an old Mepis install (easy to repair the MBR if needed) and was not about to sacrifice my setup which has been working flawlessly for seven years for a new system which is seriously complicated, is still in development and has no advantages at all for my particular system.
Having got that off my chest I would like to congratulate Mr Green on having produced a functional and classy distro (and hope he puts the option for installing GRUB to partition root for all we old blocklisters).

Archbang is possibly the best distro I have used, for a number of reasons.

Hello all and glad to be here!

addr

#2 2012-08-26 20:18:41

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

Re: Hi

I have not tried the Arch install yet.  Is the installation of GRUB(2) automatic or can you exit the standard process before you get that far?  GRUB-legacy is now in the AUR, so you should be able to install it and write it to your partition.  I need to look into this myself as I install my bootloader to the partition as well.

Welcome to ArchBang!

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#3 2012-08-27 03:27:12

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Hi

to find that Arch forced adoption of GRUB2 with no option to install to the partition root like Debian and Sabayon do. I have six different distros booting from an old Mepis install (easy to repair the MBR if needed) and was not about to sacrifice my setup which has been working flawlessly for seven years for a new system which is seriously complicated, is still in development and has no advantages at all for my particular system.

Exactly for these reasons I hat to see grub legacy replaced.
Power is the user is sacrificed.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer