You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-11 09:26:13

ArchVortex
Retired

Grub Legacy Will No Longer be Supported

Just be aware that this change is coming soon.

Ronald van Haren pressh@gmail.com
5:54 PM (4 hours ago)

to Public
Hi,

I drafted a newsitem for when I'll kill GRUB legacy and move GRUB v2
to [core] in one of following days.

Any comments/improvements are welcome!

Ronald

#####################################
GRUB legacy no longer supported

GRUB 2.x has moved to [core]. With this move support for GRUB legacy
(i.e. version 0.9x) is dropped, which is now moved to AUR.

Although GRUB legacy will not be removed from your system and will
stay fully functional, you should consider upgrading to GRUB version
2.x, or one of the other supported bootloaders.

Please consult <a href="https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Grub">the
wiki</a> for detailed installation instructions for GRUB version 2.x.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#2 2012-07-11 09:56:44

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: Grub Legacy Will No Longer be Supported

We may need to think about changing over....

Might need some help transferring to Grub2 any gurus n the house?

Then I will make changes to ArchBang installer

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

#3 2012-07-11 20:12:37

scjet

Thanks for the head's up Stan. 
I ain't no grub2 guru, but I do know that "...GRUB2 is much larger in size with many more files and far more complex than GRUB legacy..."  some more things to consider when switching.

#4 2012-07-12 06:04:01

fschiff

*cough*
SYSLINUX
/*cough*

#5 2012-07-12 06:18:38

oliver
Administrator

syslinux is also an option.... (does it support booting NTFS too for our dual-booting buddies?)

#6 2012-07-12 08:16:25

Mr Green
Administrator

Quick search does not show anything recent, I ran up virtualbox and tried grub2 install but it failed to boot.. after three attempts read grub2 does not work with msdos mbr scheme so would really be of no use to me at all...

Lilo anyone? smile

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

#7 2012-07-12 09:11:57

ArchVortex
Retired

+1 Lilo

Can anyone say Slackware? Ooooh I just did.  smile

#8 2012-07-12 11:31:39

Mr Green
Administrator

I stuck with lilo for years, got into the habit of running 'lilo' after every kernel update....

Thing is Burg is around the corner, systemd will kill consolekit and swallow up udev

[almost starting to know what I am talking about!]

#9 2012-07-13 13:23:36

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Lilo was a very bad experience for me so -1 for Lilo.
Why not jsut stick with grub legacy; OK in Aur but just a small package.

But strange grub 2 isn't at all k.is.s.?

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#10 2012-07-14 00:39:18

Mr Green
Administrator

Once Arch switches to Grub2 it will be loaded as part of base packages, so we need to decide if we run with it or use syslinux.

Personally would rather run syslinux its smaller easier to configure [well once I figured it out] and works with virtualbox.

This will have an impact on ArchBang installer, bootloader installation will have to be rewritten.

If a user wants to install Grub2, UEFI, Lilo or stripy panamas ... it is up to them

#11 2012-07-14 06:27:29

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Never tried syslinux, so I can't say anything about it.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#12 2012-07-14 06:53:44

ArchVortex
Retired

My +1 for Lilo is not that we should change to it. Us Slackware long timers find it easy to use.

The bottom line is, as Mr Green says, that GRUB2 is going to be a base package. Which is better for the user now and for the foreseeable short future, GRUB2 or Syslinux? Or maybe BURG?

#13 2012-07-14 17:10:55

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Reading in the wiki about syslinux I don't find it more simple than grub2.
I don't like the bit about the boot flag that has to be set active  on the booting partition.
Demands on way of partitioning that part of the bootloader, make the whole process  much less fool-proof or noob-proof.
kiss. kiss. kiss.

If we have to leave grub legacy of which I'm not convinced, I think we should better adopt grub2.
It is very well documented especially in all kinds of scenarios when multi-booting: http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/p20.html

#14 2012-07-14 23:05:52

Mr Green
Administrator

We will have to load grub2 as it will be part of base packages, not really the issue.

abinstall will have to changed to set up grub2, something that will not be very easy to do [well at least for me!]

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2

#15 2012-07-15 12:06:56

z3r0_k00l75

Isn't there some way to keep grub-legacy? I would bet that given a choice most of us would like to keep using it.

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
"There is a big difference between being involved & being committed. Take bacon & eggs for example, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed."
AMD PhenomII x4 955be @ 3800MHz, Gigabyte 970a-ud3, 4x4 ddr3 1600, Radeon HD5570

#16 2012-07-15 12:29:38

Mr Green
Administrator

Of course it will go into AUR so you could carry on using it

#17 2012-07-20 11:16:48

Mr Green
Administrator

Latest news

http://www.archlinux.org/news/grub-lega … supported/

While this will not affect recent isos or installs from them. Future release may be delayed until such time as installer is updated to Grub2

#18 2012-07-21 00:08:59

SpawnHappyJake

Let's see here....

Can Syslinux read any filesystem? Nope. Grub2 can. Just insert the appropriate module.
Can Syslinux parse any possible partitioning scheme (MBR, GPT, and beyond)? Nope. Grub2 can. Just insert the appropriate module.
Can Syslinux detect software raid sets, assemble them, and read off of them, enabling one to boot off a software RAID array? Nope. Grub2 can. Just insert the appropriate module.
Can Syslinux boot off of EFI? As far as I know, it can't yet. Grub2 supports BIOS booting, x86 (32-bit) EFI booting, x86_64 EFI booting, and even several other firmware-based bootings.
Can Syslinux load part of a BIOS into memory when booted off EFI hardwares? Pretty sure it can't. Grub2 can.
Can Syslinux load an EFI into memory when booted off BIOS hardware? Doubt it. Grub2 can.

No go back in and substitute Grub Legacy and Lilo for Syslinux, and I don't think they'll fair too well either, but I don't know all the details for sure. But I certainly haven't found any other bootloader that can do all of the above (burg is a spin-off of Grub2, so I don't really count that as a different bootloader for this).

And honestly, even if Syslinux _could_ do all of the above, I'd still like Grub2 better because I'm in love with its modular nature and ease to compile and install. You just choose the firmware you want it to work with as a compile option, and choose any extra features you want it to be able to have as compile options as well. And the grub-install script is pretty nice as well.

So -6 for Syslinux, -6 for Grub Legacy, and -6 for Lilo.

+7 for Grub2.

Also, I find Grub2 to be much easier to configure (choosing background image, making menu entries, etc.) than Syslinux. So another -1 for Syslinux and another +1 for Grub2.
Also Grub2 has a tga module, a jpeg module, and a png module, enabling you to use any of those picture files as a background. Also lets you set the resolution. Also lets you choose the font.

In my opinion, Grub2 is just so clean to use and is clean in design.

We're at, like, at least +8 or 9 for Grub2 by now.

Jake

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: My posted solutions (or attempts thereof) are usually my attempt at (re)iterating something that worked for _me_. I do not guarantee they will work for you. Use at your own risk.
My solutions may not be the simplest solutions, either. However, I do not intentionally add pointless complications.

#19 2012-07-21 23:53:50

ArchVortex
Retired

Hahaha!! Latest update on my non-testing partition. I'm already running Grub2 with a personally customised ArchBang theme.

[root@ArchVortex archvortex]# pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                           107.7 KiB  82.9K/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%  
 extra                         1409.5 KiB  37.4K/s 00:38 [----------------------] 100%
 community                     1770.4 KiB  42.8K/s 00:41 [----------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace grub2-bios with core/grub-bios? [Y/n]
:: Replace grub2-common with core/grub-common? [Y/n]

Why would I go backwards to grub if Arch is supposed to be moving to Grub2? I'm guessing I'll choose NO. DUH!!!!!!

Arch is really starting to piss me off. Don't have this problem with Gentoo. Running Crux from which Arch was developed. More do it yourself but simpler, faster and less bulls**t. I'm beginning to lean more towards only running Crux or my own LFS and do everything myself so changes occur because I want to make them, not because someone else (i.e. Dev or Distro) is forcing me to change my system.

#20 2012-07-22 00:51:14

Mr Green
Administrator

grub-bios is grub2 they have simply renamed it.

Soon as update hits my desktop as upgrading to grub2

All that remains is to get installer working with it

#21 2012-07-22 01:59:27

ArchVortex
Retired

Nice renaming job roll to make things clearer? Retards, I say. I'm in the process of removing all but one of my Arch systems and replacing with Crux.

#22 2012-07-22 02:06:09

Mr Green
Administrator

If you get a minute could you blog a guide on installing Crux? Cruxbang possibly?

#23 2012-07-22 08:46:22

ArchVortex
Retired

The Crux Handbook is pretty darn easy to follow. What I like best is at the beginning of the handbook:

In short, CRUX might suit you very well if you are:
A somewhat experienced Linux user who wants a clean and solid Linux distribution as the foundation of your installation.
A person who prefers editing configuration files with an editor to using a GUI.
Someone who does not hesitate to download and compile programs from the source.

I think very few ArchBang users would want to use Crux because they'd be without GUI's, have to compile every package they needed from source ( source based, not binary) and manually install a new kernel. Most linux users want a Windows like Linux, not Old School Linux. I'm starting my own repository.

#24 2012-07-22 09:45:12

Mr Green
Administrator

That rules me out then, sounds more like gentoo to me. Considering that Arch was slightly based on Crux [initscripts]

#25 2012-07-22 17:42:55

SpawnHappyJake

A warning for people like me who compile Grub2 from source: there's a bug in Grub 2.00 that makes Arch users unable to compile with more than one core (or hyperthread) due to a race condition. Simply compile with only one core. And I've found that often I must use the "--disable-werror" configure option. Grub 2.00~rc1 did not have the race condition.

Also, I can partially understand the name change. When one says "Grub", by default, that should refer to the current Grub version. Only when someone says "Grub Legacy" should that refer to the "old version". The name change reflects that Grub2 has become the default Grub.

Note: Let's not get too pissed off by a bootloader. Personally, I would have no problem if the ArchBang installer kept to Grub Legacy, because it doesn't force me to install its bootloader. I simply skip that step and compile Grub(2) from source from the bzr. Well, actually, it would rub at me eventually knowing that the distro isn't getting up-to-date, but the point is that you can always install whatever bootloader you want.

Jake

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: My posted solutions (or attempts thereof) are usually my attempt at (re)iterating something that worked for _me_. I do not guarantee they will work for you. Use at your own risk.
My solutions may not be the simplest solutions, either. However, I do not intentionally add pointless complications.

#26 2012-07-22 19:22:20

ArchVortex
Retired

MrGreen wrote:

That rules me out then, sounds more like gentoo to me.

I download on my Gentoo box while I'm sleeping so I don't have a problem with downloading and compiling during times when I'm using my computer.

Testing Frugalware later today. I'm already running Slackware [Current] and I can do the same with Frugalware with the extra benefit of pacman. Kwort runs Crux with Openbox and uses LiLO instead of Grub or Grub2. You should try it on VBox and see what you think.

#27 2012-07-22 22:59:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Arch have now removed grub from base package, user loads what bootloader they want.

Forgot about Frugalware smile

#28 2012-07-23 06:50:42

scjet

I still find it odd why the arch releng dev's themselves, who have had "aif" for years now, don't wanna fix it up ???
I guess "Deiter" was all alone, and none of the other releng's wanted to work with him to patch it up ? -although it was due for a very big overhaul. -Lol
https://www.archlinux.org/news/install- … -released/
I guess we'll have to want 'n see if someone(s) from the Community will hopefully come up with a nice "ncurses/dialog" arch Installer.

EDIT: The "only" hurdle they had (with aif) was to add a grub2 bootloader selection into it, along with "Syslinux"(which aif already had), and  "grub1"?, err I meant "grub"?, no wait, I meant "grub-legacy"?.
roll
The rest of the (NON-Gui)-ncurses/dialog inteface like Network, timezone/locale, bootlaoder selector, including syslinux,..., was a handy
installer-feature, that was actually useful, and still is !

but yep, I agree with Stan on the

"... Retards, ..."

- Lol.

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 07:16:51)

#29 2012-07-23 07:16:32

ArchVortex
Retired

Peppermint 3 (12.04 LTS) is now out with the lovely LXDE desktop so we can all switch over to a lightweight Ubumtu, install grub customizer to handle Grub2, forget about Openbox and Arch, and call it a day.

How come there's no sarcastic Overlord smiley???

#30 2012-07-23 07:18:54

scjet

"BabyBumtu"  anyone ?
wink

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 07:19:54)

#31 2012-07-23 09:56:08

Mr Green
Administrator

I do not know, put all the work into keeping ArchBang alive first sign of trouble everyone wants to install Ubuntu!

#32 2012-07-23 10:46:40

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

I do not know, put all the work into keeping ArchBang alive first sign of trouble everyone wants to install Ubuntu!

No WAY!, actually I would rather stick with "Linux Mint" on a "cinnamon" bun.  <- yes, my bad, being sacastic again. wink
"...BabyBumtu" ? -< that was the other, my bad, sarcastic comment.

...but seriously, it's ArchBang! all the way for me.

I am never going back to the 'Bumtu's, err um well, ok maybe once in a while just to peek in and see what's changed, and if anything at all, for any "n00b" friends of mine, if they want they'll get Xubuntu(Xfce) for awhile, and then when they're ready to dump their "training-wheels", and of course if they want to, we'll have a nice fresh ArchBang! LIVE/CD/USB/DVD waitin' for them. 

cool

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 10:51:26)

#33 2012-07-23 12:29:58

Mr Green
Administrator

I have updated both laptop and desktop to grub2 without any real problems.

All I need to figure out it getting grub-install working under chroot...

With os-prober loaded grub-mkconfig will pick up other installations without problem.

Just need some time to figure it out, kinda slowed down as grub2 does not use device map, so I may look at listing local drives.

Most will install to sda [mbr] but of course that may overwrite existing installation bootloader and then they will cry.

#34 2012-07-23 12:45:14

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

With os-prober loaded grub-mkconfig will pick up other installations without problem.

Just need some time to figure it out, kinda slowed down as grub2 does not use device map, so I may look at listing local drives.

Most will install to sda [mbr] but of course that may overwrite existing installation bootloader and then they will cry.

I had no problems using the plain-jane "chroot" for everything else, but when it came to "chroot mkinitcpio -p linux" I had errors, then again, maybe it's becuase of I forgot the "/mnt" between the chroot, and the mkinitcpio ? -Lol.
That may also explain the "grub-install ..." problem.
I'll have to try it all again, to be sure, since I also forgot to backup my scripts and changes that I made -Lol.
However, with "arch-chroot" everthing worked like a charm, but the problem with that is, you can't use "arch-chroot" within a bash scripts to call other functions you need ?
Again, this should all be verified manually...., maybe later.
Hope this may help ,?

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 12:46:52)

#35 2012-07-23 12:46:15

SpawnHappyJake

Shouldn't you just be able to mount the filesystem inside the chroot and run:

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=[mount point] [device]

From within the chroot?

I.e:

Let's say /dev/sda is the target hard drive, that it's mounted at /run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox (directory given from the real root), and the /boot folder/partition is located on the 1st partition of /dev/sda, which is /dev/sda1.

Then you do:

sudo mkdir /run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox/run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox
sudo cd /run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox
sudo mount -t proc proc ./proc
sudo mount -t sysfs sys ./sys
sudo mount -o bind /dev ./dev
sudo mount -t devpts pts ./dev/pts
sudo chroot . /bin/bash

[now in chroot]

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/run/media/mrgreen/ghostbox /dev/sda

[now proceed to get grub.cfg nice and how you want it]

Cheers,
Jake

Last edited by SpawnHappyJake (2012-07-23 12:48:58)

#36 2012-07-23 12:48:27

scjet

@Spawnhappyjake;
ahh ok, so yes, you can actually chroot grub-install ....?
I hope.

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 12:50:52)

#37 2012-07-23 12:49:44

SpawnHappyJake

I'm talking about whatever gets ran when I run "sudo chroot . /bin/bash".

What is arch-chroot?

#38 2012-07-23 12:52:34

scjet

SpawnHappyJake wrote:

I'm talking about whatever gets ran when I run "sudo chroot . /bin/bash".

What is arch-chroot?

It's the one, as per recommended with the newer .iso's  -> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ll_Scripts
unless of course, Arch has made yet another wiki for even that again ? "arch-chroot" simply mounts all the req'd proc, tmp,... whatever else stuff, (it's kinda like a wrapper for "chroot") -as if we need yet more wrappers -Lol.
I'm not sure, but are we ALL on the same page here again ?

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 12:55:39)

#39 2012-07-23 12:53:58

SpawnHappyJake

Given that I'm typing "chroot", not "arch-chroot", I would guess that I'm using just regular, plain old chroot.

#40 2012-07-23 12:58:11

scjet

....thanks for the clarification.

#41 2012-07-23 13:03:51

scjet

So, basically:
we take every "new" monthly image of Arch(since that appears to be what they're doing, for now ?) -from which we build, via "Archiso"? or, what about "ArchBoot" ? our ArchBang! Live CD/DVD,..., throw in an "Installer" (the new hard part) -and we're good to go right ?
So now what ?
You guys issue a new "ArchBang!" release every month ???
Edit: In either case, this Arch "Openbox" main thread: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewforum.php?id=6  is still worth it's weight in GOLD ! and moreso, than any silly "installer/bootloader" of choice. -my 2 c's

'jus curious, and/or 'jus tryin' to find the cure.

Last edited by scjet (2012-07-23 14:38:30)

#42 2012-07-23 23:02:54

Mr Green
Administrator

chroot /mnt grub-install blah blah blah
chroot /mnt grub-mkconfig - o <path to grub>

arch-chroot is part of arch install scripts it takes away the need for all the mount umount stuff ....

Think abinstall has functions for chrooting, but the bootloader install part of abinstall seems very complicated for some reason.

If I up load the function maybe someone will take a look?

#43 2012-07-23 23:09:07

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

If the new abinstaller is coming along then that's great. Even so, I have just looked at the installer as per "cinnarch-2012.07.20-netinstall-x86_64.iso" (it's also "LIVE" CD, with a nice "click"-Installer) and even though it's Installer is massive, it incorporates a selective grub2, Syslinux, and Uefi,... bootloader choices nicely.
Maybe, use whatever parts of that you need and/or simply adapt it for our Archbang! stuff ...?

hope any of this may help.

#44 2012-07-23 23:10:44

SpawnHappyJake

Just make it /mnt/install instead of /mnt.

Also, I forgot that I could make the --boot-directory be "/". That removes the need to do the recursive mount I spelled out before.

Jake

#45 2012-07-23 23:14:55

SpawnHappyJake

Üüüh! Üüüh! Üüüh! A new abinstall?! Perfect time to implement this: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2992

Also, I hope whoever built the efi bootloader files (images) built them right. There is definitely a right way to make them and wrong ways to make them.

EDIT: Just remembered that grub-install now builds the EFI images for you, and you no longer have to run grub-mkimage yourself. So we should be good. I just have bad memories from when ALL the distros had improperly built Grub EFI images. Well, ok, I can only say that for the ones I was messing with, which were Clonezilla for sure, and Maybe Fedora and/or Mint.

Jake

Last edited by SpawnHappyJake (2012-07-23 23:23:52)

#46 2012-07-23 23:35:48

Mr Green
Administrator

Üüüh! Üüüh! Üüüh! A new abinstall?! Perfect time to implement this: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2992

I remember saying that 'arch' was not hard coded into abinstall....

For the moment I need to get grub working in abinstall.

#47 2012-07-23 23:40:41

SpawnHappyJake

I remember saying that 'arch' was not hard coded into abinstall....

Maybe you thought that by "arch" I meant "architecture". You are right that the architecture is not hard-coded, however, the folder literally named "arch" (as in "Arch Linux") _is_ hard-coded as the archisobasedir.

Because the kernel allows the achisobasedir to be any folder, abinstall needs to support that.

Jake

#48 2012-07-23 23:46:23

Mr Green
Administrator

Sorry I did mean "arch" as in the word, but that is going Off Topic....

#49 2012-07-24 06:17:04

ratcheer

scjet wrote:

@Spawnhappyjake;
ahh ok, so yes, you can actually chroot grub-install ....?
I hope.

Yes, I used to have to do it all the time a couple of years ago with Ubuntu. It was my fault, as I had not yet learned to deal with grub2 in a sane way.

Tim

Board footer