You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-29 20:34:01

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

Anyone tried Nix Package Manager or NixOS?

I came across an alternative package manager called nix.  Not a very good name as when you search for it you get every reference to *nix.  But it looked interesting.  You can install different packages that have a common dependency (by name) and not worry if one package brings in a newer version.  For example, both abiword and gnumeric depend on goffice.  If abiword needs a newer version of goffice than gnumeric, goffice will reside twice on your system with each application using the one you want.  You can also have different versions of an application and "roll back" if a newer version is not working (good for testing).  I saw PCBSD do something similar, though I never really used PCBSD.  They also have a full linux distribution called NixOS.  They go as far as having revisions of the config files, allowing you to roll back those as well.  This is probably a poor overview of it.  If you familiar with it, let me know your experience.  If you are interested, you can check out http://nixos.org/ and let me know that you think.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#2 2012-06-29 21:42:17

Ninja-1
Website

Re: Anyone tried Nix Package Manager or NixOS?

Very interesting, never heard of it. Downloading now, may give my thoughts later. Thanks!

#3 2012-06-30 04:40:44

oliver
Administrator

Re: Anyone tried Nix Package Manager or NixOS?

mike4ca wrote:

Not a very good name as when you search for it you get every reference to *nix.

"Arch" suffers the same problem... you have to hope someone, somewhere has put "archlinux"

Board footer