You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-27 20:42:37

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

Run packer -S cairo-ubuntu 2 times

I just did a massive update.  Because I had not updated for a very long time, I followed the sticky on updating the last AB official iso.  When I got to the packer -S cairo-ubuntu step, I noticed the that it was installing 3 dependencies.  However, it did not install them in order so one did not install causing cairo-ubuntu to fail.  I just ran the command a second time and it only needed to install the one dependency that failed and then installed cairo-ubuntu.  From what I recall and what I can get from the pacman.log, it tried to install libxft-ubuntu before fontconfig-ubuntu.

My installed worked.  This is just an FYI.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#2 2012-03-28 01:04:15

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: Run packer -S cairo-ubuntu 2 times

I removed *-ubuntu packags from latest release hopefully to reduce problems post install. But yes cairo causes some issues if not updated. Glad to hear you got it fixed....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2012-04-24 19:32:48

mervinb

Hi. I installed archbang some time back when the *-ubuntu packages were included. I noticed in that these packages are not being actively updated and tried the non-ubuntu packages. The result has been *much* poorer font rendering -- almost as if antialiasing is off and/or there's no hinting. Re-installing the *-ubuntu packages has brought things back their beautiful original state.

Looking back, I believe that the polish of archbang initial setup was what kept me on the distro for the initial weeks, so for me the quality of font rendering is very important. I wish I had the technical ability to help maintain the packages, but I don't. Is there any way, 1) the packages continue to get attention, or 2) some tips or scripts are provided for the archbang community to get our font rendering close to what the *-ubuntu packages provided? Could there be some error in my setup which caused this poor rendering on the standard cairo libs?

PS: thanks for archbang. I tried arch previously but it was really AB that made me switch (from ubuntu, for my laptops).

Last edited by mervinb (2012-04-24 19:33:56)

#4 2012-05-23 08:39:33

mervinb

I have finally removed the -ubuntu packages, and found the files which affect openbox, gtk-2 and gtk-3 font rendering (~/.fonts.conf, ~/.gtkrc-2.0, ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini). The latter two config files can be edited indirectly using lxappearance.  Still the rendering is not quite as good as with the -ubuntu packages.

Recently I've discovered infinality. Using freetype2-infinality and fontconfig-infinality, I'm getting font rendering that I find much better than ever, especially after some manual tweaking of the infinality config file (to cut back on over-aggressive font smoothing).

It was the superior font rendering that helped to convince me to stick to archbang. Perhaps you can consider replacing the -ubuntu packages with -infinality packages?

#5 2012-05-23 09:16:34

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I agree totally that not 100% font rendering might be a deal breaker.
I installed the march iso and didn't find the font rendering to be a problem.
When I installed AB the first time I got the fonts OK by installing fontmatrix.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer