You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-15 14:15:40

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Howto use an installerscript as an alternative for using AB to install

Updated solution here: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2376

With the heaps of update issues and all kinds of packages dumped from testing into the ordinary repos it is becoming more and more difficult to install from an Archbang liveCD without a lot of accommodations and problems. We are very sorry for that but can't do much about it as  present here valuable alternatives.
The main question you will have to answer yourself first is, if you want to expose yourself to a distro that cares so little for the users daily  ease of use.

When the answer is nonetheless yes,  here is an alternative to using the AB liveCD or WillExtreme's Arch install guide: http://willensky.blogspot.com/

the following is OUTDATED and only kept for archive pruposes:

As Badener pointed out there is now an install script made by HelmuthDu: https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui
What does it do:

# Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

Install and configure archlinux has never been easier!

You can try it first with a `virtualbox`

## Prerequisites

- You need to have Archlinux (`base` + `base_devel`) already installed and rebooted
- Git
- A working internet connection
- Logged in as 'root'

## How to use

### With git
- Install git: `

pacman -S git[/git]

- get the script: `

git clone git://github.com/helmuthdu/aui.git

- run the script: `./aui`

### Without git
- get the script: `

wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui/tarball/master -O - | tar xz

- run the script:

./aui

## What does the script do?

- Automatic configure rc.conf
- Install additional repositories
- Configure rankmirror
- System upgrade
- Create and configure new user
- Install and configure sudo
- Configure pacman package signing
- Install an AUR Helper [yaourt, packer]
- Install base system
- Install Xorg
- Install GPU Drivers
- Install CUPS
- Install Additional wireless/bluetooth firmwares
- Ensuring access to GIT through a firewall
- Install a Desktop Environment [GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox]
- Install Developement tools [Vim, Emacs, Eclipse...]
- Install Office apps [LibreOffice, GNOME-Office, Latex...]
- Install System tools [Wine, Virtualbox, Grsync, Htop]
- Install Graphics apps [Inkscape, Gimp, Blender, MComix]
- Install Internet apps [Firefox, Google-Chrome, Jdownloader...]
- Install and configure LAMP Server
- Install Multimedia apps [Rhythmbox, Clementine, Codecs...]
- Install Games [HoN, World of Padman, Wesnoth...]
- Install Fonts [Liberation, MS-Fonts, Google-webfonts...]

As it is highly recommended to read it before to use it; you can read it here: http://pastebin.com/yS4a5nst

How do you get this script into a fresh arch install ?

Copy the script to a USB beforehand, mount the USB, copy script to your hard drive, execute.

Update issues here too
As you read in the related Arch Forum thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130515 this script also needs regular updating:
for example yaourt stopped working with pacman 4; don't know if that is already fixed. And the import of pacman keys was problematic for some time.

In short don't expect this to be a foolproof solution, but examine what you are doing and adjust the script to your needs and changed circumstances  when necessary.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2012-02-15 19:32:18

ArchVortex
Retired

Re: Howto use an installerscript as an alternative for using AB to install

Perhaps Chakra Linux were the smart ones to use Arch plus KDE as their base and then progressively move away from it. For us at ArchBang, this is a difficult time especially because all the changes are completely out of our hands. We are trying to make adjustments and trying to create an unofficial updated release but recent changes to the Arch system and the release of unstable packages by Arch Devs is making this progressively installation difficult. With the system core apparently getting an overhaul and core, extra, and comunity repos now the new testing repos, it looks like this script maybe the only way to go at the moment until things stabilize in ArchLand. Give it a try in virtual machine (vbox, etc.) and give us some feedback as to it's viability and ease of use. Perhaps then we can incorporate it back into the next release of ArchBang and continue providing a fast. simple, stable Openbox w/Arch distro.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LinuxBBQ / Funtoo (FunBang?) / FreeBSD / SlackBang Current 14.2

#3 2012-02-16 01:27:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Not going to have chance to test script this week, a quick look and first thing that I noticed was all the pacman -S --noconfirm strings

Needs a simple variable to replace them

Think I would go for installing via an existing Arch system [ie Archbang]

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2012-02-19 09:27:34

ArchVortex
Retired

The more I think about it the more I don't like this idea with AB. See all the noobs in the thread.

"How can I install Arch without having to do any work?? OOOOH.... an installer script that will give me everything I want without having to use any guide or knowledge of the Arch system. Yay!!" Need I say more roll

Currently running ArchBang / LinuxBBQ / Funtoo (FunBang?) / FreeBSD / SlackBang Current 14.2

#5 2012-02-19 13:51:43

Mr Green
Administrator

We do need a new Archbang installer, but we do not need a post install script.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2012-02-23 09:53:49

scjet

A "Netinstall" image of Archbang, really is the "only" alternative, such that it would pull in all the latest and greatest pkg's as used by WillExtreme's ArchBang setup.
Why are we pretending to avoid the inevitable. ? Is it because upstream "Arch" doesn't want us wasting BW for our Archbang users' ?!  mmm?
I mean, that must be the "only" reason here. ?

Plus, it could be small, and also incorporate a similar "aui/AB"-style bash-post-install script. such as "pablokal" mentioned, which would modofy/add/..., the proper scripts/configs/setups, in ~/home,..., and elswhere as required for our present  ArchBang install.

an (optional) "Netinstall" image would also atleast fix the "...With the heaps of update issues and all kinds of packages dumped from testing...", ... isssues.  (hopefully). smile, amd most especially, if we are going to a "6-Month" cycle of Archbang's.

...the "groundwork" is already there, we just need to let the "Net" do all the work for us.
And, that way, Users could then just concentrate on setting/tweaking things up on their Archbang-desktop the way they want too afterwards. ie: "Super + r" , ...,, which is still very helpful for n00bs, and all else.
- instead of ferritting thru' all these *.pac* files everywhere, including dozens' of "reboots", and "post-install" fixes, ..., like we are doing now !?

We are so close to a major, and very viable Distro', that I can "taste" it. !
Yes, things might still break, but atleast we would be dealing with those at the "latest" levels'.
Plus, it's less "fires" to put out for you guys, and Mr. Green. (jus' kiddin' bud).
It can only make us better.
wink

Hey, I'm all ears, and seriously, if I'm on the wrong "medication" ?, then just let me know.
I'm not always right, but when I am, it's only because I have honestly listened to people who "know-more" than me.
anyway, I think I have "re-edited" the crap outta this as far as I can go.

K, I'm done, 'fer now.

P.S.
"...It's now, or never..."
-From Jon Bon Jovi @ "It's My Life" song.

smile
Cheers.

Last edited by scjet (2012-02-23 12:07:47)

#7 2012-02-23 12:15:23

Mr Green
Administrator

I am testing the arch-bootstrap script at the moment, it does however only pull in pacman and a few minimal packages at the moment.

Being a small script is takes seconds to load up and once you have set up partitions and mount points you are away.

Only going down this route would mean that the user needs to get there hands dirty in a terminal setting up / editing configs.

#8 2012-02-23 18:07:42

handy

So are you saying an Ab LiveCD that includes the Arch net-install option that is run via a script to create an Ab install with the most current packages?

Last edited by handy (2012-02-24 17:40:58)

#9 2012-02-24 07:04:55

scjet

I spent quite a lot of time on this lately all last night, and ended up in one big "loop" myself, my first time trying to figure this out.
But, at the moment a Livecd and Netinstall doesn't look doable, its one, or the other, similar to what Mr. Green mentioned ?
Me and my big mouth is taking a much needed break.
Unless we make a separate .iso (netinstall) ?, but yep, without a LiveCD that would obviously defeat the entire purpose.

#10 2012-02-24 07:20:27

Mr Green
Administrator

The script I am talking about is arch-bootstrap

From Archbang [live] you set up partitions and mount drives

Then run script, it installs a base system [must like netinstall]

From that you could add packages and then transfer needed configs from Archbang [~/.config ....]

The other point is that arch-bootstrap could be run from another Linux distro as it loads up pacman and its dep when you run it.

I am very wary of it becoming an easy short cut to installing Arch[bang]

The advantages over Archbang installer are the fact that you have up to date packages from the start and a chance to set up your system from scratch, if you wish to use Archbang configs/scripts/theme... you can.

Very much Work In Progress at the moment....

#11 2012-02-24 08:32:32

ArchVortex
Retired

I tried making a net-install AB LiveCD a few weeks ago and could only make core.

A whole bunch of patches and changes to the archiso in the last two days. Archiso_shutdown is broken. Boot parameters needs a temporary workaround of  boot params: earlymodules=loop loop.max_loop=16 and releng is also waiting for util-linux 2.21 before pushing out a new iso

I wonder how this will affect abinstall?

#12 2012-02-24 09:36:47

Mr Green
Administrator

abinstall still works but when you go to update then you are in trouble.

I have run base install via boot-script without any problem but you are left with loads of files to edit [not that it is a problem in itself!] new users may not want to get down and dirty in a terminal.

So looking at install

[pacman]
[base]
[archbang extra packages]
[configs]

Still early days sat Mr Greens bash scripting hideaway

#13 2012-02-24 17:22:16

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Is this a conspiracy to put AB out of the way??

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#14 2012-02-24 17:47:45

handy

It looks to me more like an effort to get around the upgrade problems that come along as time goes by after an Ab.iso is released.

If a solution is hatched, it could make life easier for the dev's & everyone else involved with Ab.

#15 2012-02-25 01:04:59

Mr Green
Administrator

pablokal wrote:

Certainly not, trying to figure a way of having an always up to date Archbang installer

#16 2012-02-25 05:35:36

scjet

hey ya, this looks more promising Mr. Green, good stuff.

#17 2012-02-25 06:37:49

pablokal
Administrator
Website

pablokal wrote:

Certainly not, trying to figure a way of having an always up to date Archbang installer

Quite wrongly understood what I meant to say;I should have indicated more clearly it as a reaction not to the last post of Mr Green, but that one before it; it is a reaction to the post of Archvortex describing all the changes in the new archiso.
When there are so many changes in the core packages each time and the arch iso is so rapidly evolving it is getting harder to make an useful AB. iso, that will last longer than a week.
I whole heartedly support all initiatives to create different Arch(bang) installation procedures.

#18 2012-02-28 12:43:47

Mr Green
Administrator

@scjet I can move this to a new thread if you like? then others may jump in with tweaks and advice....

#19 2012-02-28 13:01:40

scjet

ya, this whole thing probably needs it's own thread.
"Potential Installer Improvements/Alternatives for Archbang" ?

although @pablokal's header was very close too.
But either way, we need to keep this as focused as possible, regarding alternative ready-made ideas for
ArchBang Installers' ...
smile

Last edited by scjet (2012-02-28 13:05:09)

#20 2012-02-28 13:07:16

Mr Green
Administrator

#21 2012-10-02 00:37:34

archnewb2

I'm new here, getting ready to learn this, but If I may suggest?

Is there a way to update AB using a media iso burnt to DVD/CD of arch itself?

Example:

1. Download a arch iso thats more up to date than the currently iso here.
2. Burn the ISO to the media of choice and mount it.
3. Upgrade accordingly

It's just a thought.  Again, I'm new and currently learning.  I have dabbled a little in linux in the past, and would really like to learn AB, as it takes out having to upgrade every 6 months, year, ect.

Hope to be of service and help in the future.

#22 2012-10-02 03:12:58

pablokal
Administrator
Website

The isos of Arch also get really fast out of date. There is no gain in your suggestion.
In contrast to a netinstall that pulls the latest repos.

#23 2012-10-02 12:23:11

archnewb2

pablokal wrote:

The isos of Arch also get really fast out of date. There is no gain in your suggestion.
In contrast to a netinstall that pulls the latest repos.

Do you mean like pacstrap does for arch?

#24 2012-10-02 12:51:55

Mr Green
Administrator

Exactly what pacstrap does, pull in latest and greatest

#25 2012-10-02 14:25:06

archnewb2

Mr Green wrote:

Exactly what pacstrap does, pull in latest and greatest

Ok so this beg's another question.

Can pacstrap be modified to do as you want?  With out causing drama from anyone.

#26 2012-10-02 22:50:54

Mr Green
Administrator

There are a number of scripts based on arch-install-script, both here and on arch forums. So yes you use pacstrap to install arch. Modified not sure its need it.

Board footer