You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-19 20:00:42

ArchVortex
Retired

"LXDE and XFCE - The Other Desktops" Article

Article is here: http://www.h-online.com/open/features/L … 92504.html

As an Openbox and LXDE user I was happy to see the plug for these two, albeit OB was only mentioned a little in the LXDE section.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#2 2011-12-20 04:00:39

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: "LXDE and XFCE - The Other Desktops" Article

What annoys me in this article is that the role in Openbox in the lxde environment is not well clarified.
This obscures also the main benefits of an Openbox, namely: ease of configuration and ease of keybindings/keyboard in stead of mouse control.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2011-12-20 06:01:13

Mr Green
Administrator

I think of LXDE as a creamy layer on top of Openbox

Everyday it is becoming a viable alternative to Gnome/KDE

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2011-12-23 11:17:03

amrith

Gnome 3 is kiddish. It is like we are playing a computer game, and i do not play computer games.
KDE is still buggy, that behavior is worst than working with a microsoft system.

I have tired LXDE in my previous opensuse 12.1 installation. I felt LXDE is a little less responsive than Xfce.

Let's talk about rights and lefts. You're right so I left.

#5 2011-12-23 18:55:06

ArchVortex
Retired

I just tried KDE for the first time in a quite a few years ( I left it at the beginning of KDE 3). It looks nice but OMG, how much mouse clicking is required just to get something done? I use an ergonomic mouse pad and my hand was sore after five minutes. Absolutely ridiculous. Dolphin? Terrible file manager. Bug reports logging out or rebooting. Nepomuk was responsible for a lot of bug reports too.

@ amrith I find XFCE less responsive than LXDE. Maybe it was openSUSE's version? When Gnome 2.32 made the move to Gnome 3 I had to find a new desktop. I tried XFCE ( I call it Gnome Lite) and found it slower on Gentoo and Arch than LXDE so I chose LXDE. I also don't like thunar. Finding Openbox through ArchBang took that to an even faster level.

One thing, XFCE on Gentoo and Arch is faster than these distros that put out an XFCE edition. Many of them layer XFCE on top of Gnome and that slows it down considerably. Using base Arch and adding XFCE should be very fast.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Board footer