You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-29 10:32:04

ArchVortex
Retired

What other Linux OS are you running or distro hopping with besides AB?

Having fun with SalixOS LXDE version. I feel like I haven't been away from Slack for almost 10 years. Feels strange though, laying down some slapt-get -i, almost like Debian. Seems like a pretty solid distro. Upgraded to 13.37. Smooth running. Funny seeing LILO again after all these years since everybody seems to use GRUB. Think I'll play with SalixOS a little longer which will delay my install of Foresight Linux. 

What are you using? Go.......

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#2 2011-10-29 14:11:41

Keta

Re: What other Linux OS are you running or distro hopping with besides AB?

Only using Arch Linux and Ubuntu 10.10

#3 2011-10-29 14:12:22

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I have stopped distro hopping because I discovered an openbox environment gives me anything I want as desktop environment. That is kind of dull but I was forced accepting this after trying to deny it and trying other solutions.
The basis on which OB happens doesn't seem so important as long as I don't have to do a reinstall every half year and updating is a painless process.
Using the latest software isn't that all important to me, but the vanilla quality of it is. So rolling release.
Aptosid (XFCE rebuilt to only OB left) and AB both work great for me; I find Arch a bit easier to maintain but no real essential difference there.

I tried Linux Mint Debian Edition which installed very easy and looks great, but the first big update after I left it for a few months borked my system.

The only reason I would want to distrohop is that I would lose oversight in recent developments.
But having done very little the last year I don't have the feeling I missed much.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2011-10-29 18:42:10

scjet

A "young" Bull told an "old" Bull, "... Hey, lets run down into that field full of cows and have fun with every one of them !"
But the "old" Bull simply said: "Why don't we just walk down instead, and pick the nearest one ?"
haha -it's an oldie but a goldie.
Neither are really right, but my distro-hoppin' days are few and far between.

imho, Openbox is one the most truly versatile/functioning  DM's on any unixy OS., I wish I found it sooner,  and so, it's simply openbox, and Archbang/Arch+OB is perfect for this very reason.

I did recently try the latest UbuntuStudio 11.10 (which is now solely based on XFCE), and it's ok too for NLVideo and Audio editing , ..., but there is a lot of focused development/direction/cohesion lacking right now unfortunately, aka canonical-ness, aka  pulseaudio, ...

The *BSD's is where I started, long time ago, and I'll always check them out from time to time, but as far as Linux distro(s) ?, I'm happy with just a RnR (Rollin Release) Arch*
..., Gone.

Last edited by scjet (2011-10-29 19:11:02)

#5 2011-10-31 06:00:06

ratcheer

I am still using Ubuntu 11.10 as my primary OS. But I like AB more every time I use it and may convert over to it entirely, some day.

Tim

#6 2011-10-31 13:28:42

vasicekabc

Please help me!
I am not able to find any reason to use anything other than ArchBang.
Thank You Will for this great work.

#7 2011-10-31 21:35:26

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

I am still using Mint on a few computers.  Mostly because it came "working" and everyone knows how to use it (wife/kids).  I am still new at AB and Arch.  Once I get really good, get everything needed setup, and have confidence that I won't bork my install I may start to switch (or at least add it as another OS).  I don't think I will stop testing out other distros.  I am too obsessed with it.  I love learning new things.  Linux, with all of its distros, package managers, desktops, shells, etc., sure give you lots of opportunity to learn!  Plus, when I see something I really like, I then add it to whatever I am currently running.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#8 2011-11-01 03:59:52

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I then add it to whatever I am currently running.

That is something I always did.
The first tip I got from a pc guru in 1995 when I started using pc's: install only the things you really need and install as little as possible. Never listened to him.
Somehow I became very good at keeping  even Windows running.
When I got the first virus melt down after 10 years or so, I had enough.

It is only from using Arch  that I really began to understand how sane this advice is and how important it is to keep your configuration clean and don't stack too much on each other.  I'm still not very good at it but making a system work on the most basic things without anything superfluous is the way to go.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#9 2011-11-01 08:46:39

hsngrms
Website

Now, only using ArchBang.
But i love PC-BSD and LMDE.

Last edited by hsngrms (2011-11-01 08:46:53)

#10 2011-11-02 02:58:30

epzil0n

I got a triple boot system running Ubuntu 11.10 and Xubuntu 11.10 and ArchBang ofc.

Last edited by epzil0n (2011-11-02 02:58:58)

Facito aliquid operis, ut te semper diabolus inveniat occupatum..

#11 2011-11-05 08:17:15

Colonel Panic

Still using Puppy (probably always will), but I've also got Mint Debian and Swift on my system although I haven't yet set up my GRUB to be able to boot them. So, right now it's just ArchBang and Puppy (ttuuxxx's excellent Classic version, based on Puppy 2.14) which are in regular use.

Swift btw is a slight reworking of AntiX, which works well on old computers such as my ten year old Compaq. I believe the next version though is going to be based on Mint Debian.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2011-11-05 08:19:41)

#12 2011-11-05 17:12:23

handy

I dumped windows in October 2005, went to Debian, kept seeing this funny word Ubuntu, sought it out & got great help on the forum. Installed Ubuntu, ran it from Breezy to Edgy. Edgy bought hardware regressions that caused me to look elsewhere.

Used Sabayon, on my prime box & started hopping on the other. Went through the BSD's, lots of distros & found Arch & fell in love. Started with Gnome, quickly went to Openbox (fell in love again) & between Arch & OB, that was really the end of my hopping, back in March 2008.

I occasionally have a look at a live media of a distro out of interest (not interested in changing though what I use though), like Fuduntu. & I also keep my eye on Haiku, & have that installed on a small HDD. Though my old tower (with IDE + SATA adapters & drive drawers) motherboard died a few months ago, so I haven't had a 2nd box until last week. A single 5.25" drive caddy should arrive this week.

The new box had Win-7 on it, which is really my first look at windows for 6 years. It is certainly more polished up at the front end. Not as rough as it used to be, but there is just SO much stuff between me & the OS, which I really don't like.

I used gParted to shrink the size of the main OS partition on the 1TB drive of the new machine, then used Clonezilla to make images of the 3 partitions. Grabbed a 320GB drive that I had, & made partitions just a little larger than those on the original 1TB, then cast the images onto it. It wouldn't boot, so I used the "bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr" command from the shell in the win recovery disk. It still wouldn't boot (though that command got me out of trouble after I resized the OS partition previously). So I then used the HP recovery disks & reinstalled Win-7, & it booted. big_smile big_smile big_smile 

So that is the way to get around Clonezilla not allowing you to clone one HDD to a smaller one (even if there will be heaps of free space).

So now I have the 320GB Win-7 HDD for the very rare occasion that there may be a use for it (it has AVG & Firefox + add-ons & 6GB of shite deleted from the Win-7 partition!) & I have the 1TB drive now set up as the prime system in my 2nd Arch box.

When the drive drawer arrives I'll have a simple & convenient method of installing & testing Haiku as it progresses (or whatever) & throwing the Win-7 disk in as need be, though these days I'll just be leaving the Arch drive in.

So there... wink

Last edited by handy (2011-11-05 17:23:04)

#13 2011-11-11 09:08:40

Sreaper
Website

besides the 64bit Archbang I just use vista32bit, which I need for some applications! ^^

#14 2011-11-12 12:00:21

Colonel Panic

Posting from Vector 6.0 Standard, after borking my Archbang install by doing an ill-advised or ill-executed upgrade (see "Update disaster" thread).

6.0 is three years old but still works pretty well; it's based on Slack 12.1, which is a very solid release. Only problem with it is, the only bang up to date browser which will run in it is Opera 11.50.

-CP

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2011-11-12 12:11:23)

#15 2011-11-12 13:17:09

kazuya

It is good and bad. Since coming across archbang these past 6 months, it has been extremely hard to distro hop. For all my use and more the distro is on a whole level by itself.
All other OSes and distros I tried just seems to have deficiencies when compared to this distro (such as perceived speed, full desktop functionality, and customization ease.)

I attempted to test ubuntu 11.10, Sabayon, and salix.

In the end, Archbang 64 all the way.

#16 2011-11-22 07:40:15

hsngrms
Website

Now, I'm using ArchBang 2011.11 + Linux Mint 12 RC.

Last edited by hsngrms (2011-11-22 07:41:41)

#17 2011-11-22 09:22:41

Mr Green
Administrator

hsngrms wrote:

Now, I'm using ArchBang 2011.11 + Linux Mint 12 RC.

Thinking about Linux Mint12 and ripping out Gnome and installing lxde or do I wait for Mint Lxde to be updated

Went out to workshop and found an old 40gb ide hard drive, stuck it in a external usb enclosure and fired up Virtualbox.

Using Linux Mint 12 RC liveiso installed it too usb drive via Virtualbox. It would not boot at first so figured grub was not set up correctly so chrooted in and updated grub...

Rebooted selected usb drive and am now running Linux Mint 12 RC updating now

Fan in external enclosure is driving me mad!!!!

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#18 2011-11-23 03:48:11

hsngrms
Website

Mr Green,
I think, you should wait stable release. A few months ago I installed LMDE & Openbox and ripped Gnome. Unfortunately, system was lost stability...
Linux Mint 12 RC doesn't work well on Virtualbox.

#19 2011-11-23 09:18:37

Mr Green
Administrator

You are right of course, I should wait for release it is very unstable in Virtualbox one of the reasons I installed to hard drive.  More of an experiment really

But am drawn to Mint LXDE smile

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#20 2011-11-24 14:02:47

scjet

ArchBUMTU

is it avilable yet ? I'd sure like to give that a spin ...  NOT !
smile

Last edited by scjet (2011-11-25 01:53:47)

#21 2011-11-24 14:04:25

Mr Green
Administrator

You may have a long wait

#22 2011-11-24 20:00:45

ArchVortex
Retired

ArchBumtu? Bumtu with pacman and a KISS version of the Unity desktop. Hahahaha!! Maybe OB with adeskbar on the left side vertically?

#23 2011-11-28 05:51:10

Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic wrote:

Posting from Vector 6.0 Standard, after borking my Archbang install by doing an ill-advised or ill-executed upgrade (see "Update disaster" thread).

6.0 is three years old but still works pretty well; it's based on Slack 12.1, which is a very solid release. Only problem with it is, the only bang up to date browser which will run in it is Opera 11.50.

-CP

Update; this info is wrong. I've since got the latest Seamonkey (2.5) and Firefox (8.0.1) running in it as well. Sorry if I misled anybody.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2011-11-28 05:51:47)

#24 2011-11-28 06:48:36

Mr Green
Administrator

Downloading Mint12 64 but will run it with LXDE

#25 2011-11-28 23:01:39

dano2781

im only using archbang but i started back with ubuntu 10.10 which was awesome then would hop around. my fav of the ubuntu fam is lubuntu. i played around with salixos fluxbox had some issues but got it to run. linux mint debian version i messed with thought it was cool. played around with freeBSD i was able to configure everything but was too much information for me to take in. i also used tinycore. antiX is another debian based distro i toyed around with and also the very first debian based os i got back into after 8 years of being away from technology was mepis. this has all been in a year. the distro i got into years back was linux mandrake now known as mandriva.

I started out as a bozo, but, now im a tester of sorts, I use arch and debian.

#26 2011-11-29 04:42:30

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks, Dano, that's already very much better; I can understand it! I think.
Are  you a fan of Jack Kerouac? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerouac
This I read  three times like:
antiX is another debian based distro i toyed around with and also the very first debian based os i got back into after 8 years of being away from technology;
was mepis. ???
But I think you meant:
antiX is another debian based distro i toyed around with.
The very first debian based os i got back into after 8 years of being away from technology was mepis.

#27 2011-11-29 21:40:56

dano2781

yeah i jsut read the other post. I apologize. Alot of the time im also checkin on my son whose still a baby. Yes mepis was the very first after 8 years. Mepis and antiX are both debian based.

#28 2011-11-30 04:34:20

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yeah, a baby can be very nerve wrecking! But also great fun, hope you are enjoying it  a lot!

#29 2011-12-04 06:33:41

ArchVortex
Retired

Just tried Linux Mint 12 and Mate was slow and clunky. Gnome 3 is still only for browsing the internet and a waste of time. I think Clem should have waited a few weeks to get MATE right rather than go with bug fixes after and not bothered with Gnome3 at all. My overall feeling was this was a Linux Mint impostor and not the quality of previous releases.

CrunchBang was a joke. I don't know what happened there. The last Statler with OB was great.

Slackware 13.37 is just as solid as ever. 

Loaded Peppermint 2 and dumped all the cloud crap. Really enjoying it. And it's LXDE of course. I liked the first release but didn't keep it in the repertoire because it's not rolling release. Like to run it with Sid repositories if I can. Kendall's done a great job. Using grub-customizer to manage the 8 distro GRUB menu. I'm going to install it on another partition as well and dump the LXDE and run it as Openbox.

Next up Ghost BSD and Anti-X and then maybe Livarp.

#30 2011-12-04 06:58:41

Mr Green
Administrator

I loaded Mint 12 and just could not get on with it, mate ran but as you say was very buggy and slow

Why do I need to have all the other rubbish installed just sitting there so went back to 11

Thing is how long will it supported?

I might take a look at peppermint

Crunchbang looks awful compared to Archbang, not sure about the install an application from openbox menu thing!

Looks like Peppermint is based on 11.04

#31 2011-12-04 07:06:33

ArchVortex
Retired

You can upgrade to 11.10 in the update manager. A round of Bumtu crackers for everyone lol This sucks. I forgot it was based on bumtu and not Debian. sad

#32 2011-12-04 07:56:02

Mr Green
Administrator

I could but upgrading Ubuntu creates a very sticky mess..... smile

http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Category:Linux_Distributions

Plenty to chose from

#33 2011-12-04 09:01:34

mike4ca

Mr Green wrote:

Why do I need to have all the other rubbish installed just sitting there so went back to 11

Thing is how long will it supported?

Mint 11 is based on bumtu 11.04 so it should get 18 months of security patches which will bring you to the 12.10 timeframe.

Mint 13 will be based on bumtu 12.04, which should be a long term release.  I think this is the first one that will be 5 years.

There is nothing official but I am guessing that the GNOME3 (and maybe MATE) work that was done on the bumtu based Mint will make it's way into the debian based version.  I will probably keep my wife at 10 and my kids at 11 until things are cleaned up a little.  They have a lot of work to do on that team with 2 bases and 6? desktops.  I really love my Arch(Bang)!

#34 2011-12-04 09:04:26

Mr Green
Administrator

Do have a problem with Archbang at all, but day to day I do want something that is stable and will not break the moment it updates.

Think it time Stan started a 'depain' based distro running Lxde

#35 2011-12-04 10:05:17

ArchVortex
Retired

@ Mr Green Funny you should say that, I installed Aptosid and will IgnorantGurufy it into Openbox from XFCE. Maybe I'll add LXDE with it.

@mike4ca I prefer LM 10 over 11

Gave up running ArchBang on my new netbook. Even with the kernel-netbook I still had kernel panics and the patch for the loopback wasn't in it. Maybe after January I'll try again. Still have ArchBang (testing) on my play laptop.

#36 2011-12-04 15:22:43

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Gave up running ArchBang on my new netbook.

Find that quite shocking to hear you don't get AB installed in a stable way.

Have you thought of installing it with an older version of AB?
And not update it for a while?

I installed Aptosid and will IgnorantGurufy it into Openbox from XFCE

I did  the same and when you keep your self to their strict update advice to update from init 3 than you are good to go.
Livarp is based on stable debian squeeze and very easy to put openbox on.
I have played only live with it but will install it when I have the time.

#37 2011-12-04 21:06:42

ArchVortex
Retired

I tried several AB versions and all had kernel panics and loopback problems. My favorite release to use usually is the 09.06 release and then dump jumanji and thunar. I've thought about trying the 2.6.39 kernel and seeing if it's a 3.0 problem that hasn't been addressed yet. All the other distros I've tried had no problems with up to date kernels. I'm going to try installing Arch and see what happens and whether it's an Arch kernel thing or an AB thing. I haven't tried my pimped AB .iso yet but I have no reason to believe that it will be any better.

#38 2011-12-05 01:43:09

Mr Green
Administrator

Loading up Lubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 under Virtualbox [ 3.2 Kernel ]

#39 2011-12-05 03:46:12

ArchVortex
Retired

Arch is the problem. Installed Arch with LXDE and crash. Logged in again and kernel panic. Logged in again trying to change the kernel and crash. Finally installed kernel-notebook and kernel panic. Just like ArchBang. Arch is the only one that this happens with. Tried Fedora and Mageia this afternoon and no problems. Sabayon, Slack, GhostBSD, Mint and Peppermint no problems. I need to look at the Arch Forums. I wonder if using Liquorix will help or just using a generic kernel.

Aptosid XFCE was an epic fail. Could not get Ceni to work with ethernet or Wifi. Half an hour of my life I'll never get back. Didn't like Ceni before because it didn't support 3G modems. Really don't like it now. Worse than wicd and I think wicd is crap. Just my opinion so don't start crying about how wrong I am.

#40 2011-12-05 05:06:03

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Aptosid XFCE was an epic fail.

I'm sorry to hear you so much out of luck these days.

#41 2011-12-05 05:24:19

Mr Green
Administrator

I do not mind Lubuntu if I could just remove all the stuff I do not need, runs fine under Virtualbox

Installer did bail out but tried again [making sure I allowed the installer to update itself first] also stopped it downloading updates just to be sure.

Most of the distros I have looked at are either not as up to date as Arch

Stable [Working!] for day to day use is fine for me

#42 2011-12-05 05:37:25

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I said it before: why not try to install livarp that is in debian squeeze the stable debian.
I will not ever go back to using ubuntu, with all his packages, that I don't trust .

#43 2011-12-05 05:50:10

Mr Green
Administrator

Ok downloading now..... smile

#44 2011-12-05 06:09:53

pablokal
Administrator
Website

You will miss openbox but that won't be a great hassle to install:

apt-get install  openbox

#45 2011-12-05 06:11:08

Mr Green
Administrator

Thinking about installing Gnome3 smile

#46 2011-12-05 06:39:47

pablokal
Administrator
Website

You do have masochistic tendencies, haven't you? ;-)

#47 2011-12-05 07:53:48

Mr Green
Administrator

Install was painless, is it me or is kernel very very old?

#48 2011-12-05 08:55:50

ArchVortex
Retired

The funny thing with Aptosid was there was no password needed for the Wifi. Ethernet of all things? How can the ethernet not be connected? For most distros that's automatic. I checked the connection with Sabayon and Fedora and no problems. Maybe this netbook is really finicky. I'm going to do a dirty install of Gentoo on Wednesday just to see what happens.

I'm going to try ArchBang again with a vanilla kernel. It has to be the Arch kernel because there is no problems with other distro's 2.6, 3.0, or 3.1 kernels. I guess it is time to start compiling my own Arch kernel for this netbook.

#49 2011-12-05 11:22:13

Mr Green
Administrator

Why not use config from a working kernel? or mash up Arch with Sabayon?

#50 2011-12-05 16:58:52

pablokal
Administrator
Website

is it me or is kernel very very old?

Yes, from the eighties; that is debian stable for you ;-)

#51 2011-12-06 03:36:44

xtremyst

i guess i can describe myself as a gnome-3 victim... a few months ago i was using ubuntu and lmde, when ubuntu 11.10 released i switched to LMDE permanently only to find that they added gnome3 too. So i started using mint11 and i was waiting to test mate on mint12.... at some point i found archbang from a cdrom that came with a greek  linux magazine so i gave it a shot and i got so excited i uninstalled all the other distros smile

#52 2011-12-06 04:57:02

ArchVortex
Retired

@xtremyst  excellent to hear! I started using Gnome in 2002 and have to give it up at when Gnome3 came in on Gentoo.

pablokal wrote:

Yes, from the eighties; that is debian stable for you ;-)

Hahahaha!! Too funny but true!!

#53 2011-12-06 22:04:19

dano2781

ArchVortex wrote:

The funny thing with Aptosid was there was no password needed for the Wifi. Ethernet of all things? How can the ethernet not be connected? For most distros that's automatic. I checked the connection with Sabayon and Fedora and no problems. Maybe this netbook is really finicky. I'm going to do a dirty install of Gentoo on Wednesday just to see what happens.

I'm going to try ArchBang again with a vanilla kernel. It has to be the Arch kernel because there is no problems with other distro's 2.6, 3.0, or 3.1 kernels. I guess it is time to start compiling my own Arch kernel for this netbook.

I guess what ive figured from many people, and, to include my experiences is the ocelot sucks. anyone know how the 12.04 is soo far. it seems they have complicated things way too much. They got too much stuff to load that u absolutly dont need at all.

#54 2011-12-18 07:59:59

ArchVortex
Retired

Installed Openbox on Gentoo and giving it a whirl on my new netbook. No problems so far. Gentoo or Sabayon only provides openbox, obmenu and obconf. To use oblogout you have to add the miramir overlay:

#  layman -L 

to make sure miramir is on the list and then

#  layman -a miramir

to install the overlay and

# emerge oblogout

to add oblogout.

Gentoo plus OB also uses slightly less RAM than ArchBang so far.

#55 2012-01-01 04:52:55

ArchVortex
Retired

Trying Gentoo based Calculate Linux 11.12 XFCE and find it very polished, snappy and low RAM. Uses 85 -90 MB RAM while idling after start up (compared to AB at approximately 80 MB now with the 3.1.6 kernel. The Calculate setup is more like a Gentoo setup than Sabayon is. Sabayon pulls in a lot of unwanted bloat with dependencies not really needed but this is not the case with Calculate. The XFCE desktop has regular panel on the top and a smaller almost dock-like panel full of launchers on the bottom. Makes the XFCE DE tolerable. Comes loaded with most of packages one needs to do everything. XFCE not being layered on top of Gnome is quite obvious with this distro. I'm impressed. I actually don't feel like ripping out XFCE and installing LXDE which is a first but Thunar will probably have to go. Downloading the KDE version which is the main version to see how stable it is. Will try Openbox on Calculate later.

#56 2012-01-01 11:03:26

hymie

I have Ubuntu 10.04 and ArchBang (Openbox+Fluxbox) on my newest machine. The "Ubuntu" is just for emergency, because I don't trust completely the bleeding edge rolling modell ;-)
On the older machines I have of course ;-) ArchBang (Openbox), CrunchBang (Openbox), Mint 9 Fluxbox, Salix 13.37 Fluxbox, Bodhi Linux and still Ubuntu 8.04.
I think I'll never go with "Gnome 3" "Unity" or "KDE" - maybe I'll try something with "Razor-Qt", and the next LTS Ubuntu will maybe be Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Mint-Mate....

#57 2012-01-01 20:29:05

vrkalak
Website

Primary (for work) PC  >
Debian 'stable+backports' with Openbox (over an Xfce-base)

2nd PC  > 
Debian 'testing' with Fluxbox
Archbang with Openbox
LMDE-Xfce (Debian-testing) with Fluxbox

Main Laptop  >
Debian 'stable+backports' with Fluxbox
Crunchbang (Debian-stable) with Openbox
Semplice-OS (Debian-Sid) with Openbox

Acer Netbook  >
Crunchbang (Debian-testing) with Openbox
Debian 'testing' with Fluxbox

Ancient Gateway Laptop  >
antiX (Debian-testing) with Fluxbox
Mint-11 Gnome with Fluxbox

#58 2012-01-02 09:42:36

Kruppt

ArchVortex wrote:

Trying Gentoo based Calculate Linux 11.12 XFCE and find it very polished, snappy and low RAM. Uses 85 -90 MB RAM while idling after start up (compared to AB at approximately 80 MB now with the 3.1.6 kernel. The Calculate setup is more like a Gentoo setup than Sabayon is. Sabayon pulls in a lot of unwanted bloat with dependencies not really needed but this is not the case with Calculate. The XFCE desktop has regular panel on the top and a smaller almost dock-like panel full of launchers on the bottom. Makes the XFCE DE tolerable. Comes loaded with most of packages one needs to do everything. XFCE not being layered on top of Gnome is quite obvious with this distro. I'm impressed. I actually don't feel like ripping out XFCE and installing LXDE which is a first but Thunar will probably have to go. Downloading the KDE version which is the main version to see how stable it is. Will try Openbox on Calculate later.

Yeah...I installed it on one of my boxes and played with it a day or so,
and that was my impression also.....it is a nice setup.
I just installed it on my multiboot flashdive
so I can toy with it more when I find the time.

#59 2012-01-02 10:19:55

ArchVortex
Retired

@ Kruppt, I tried the KDE version today but it stayed in a constant state of long hangs. XFCE has had no problems. I just can't seem to shake Gentoo even though Arch is so much faster (pacman vs emerge) and emerge --update --deep world takes around 8 hours for me now. Gentoo is like an old comfy pair of sneakers I just can't throw away. Too much time over the last 10 years invested to just walk away.

#60 2012-01-02 20:24:51

Kruppt

@ArchVortex
The XFCE version is the one I just installed to USB Flashdrive.
Yeah, I hear you on the time invested and being comfortable with it.
I tried to install it way back when it first came out, had built a comp
based on the BE6-2, was overclocking at that time, and as I recall I had to
shut er down as it had not finished compiling after over a day. I needed the machine. LOL!!

#61 2012-01-02 22:04:48

ArchVortex
Retired

@Kruppt, I remember those days during dialup when it took forever to compile especially here in Indonesia. At one point I hadn't updated in almost a year. When we got broadband in the church I was at in Jakarta in 2003 I took my computer in, hooked it up and let it go for days. It seemed like almost a week went by before it finished. Hahahaha!! I'm looking forward to moving to Taiwan or South Korea where the internet is obscenely fast compared to here. I read on-line that Taiwan wants to finish a project by 2015 that will ensure a lot of its users will have speeds exceeding 100 Mbps and some areas will have 1Gbps. Then compiling times for Gentoo will be a breeze wink

#62 2012-01-03 12:18:16

mike4ca

I am a little confused on why the internet speed would have an impact on the updates of Gentoo (as compared to Arch).  I don't have much experience with Gentoo.  I know this is not a Gentoo forum, but I think discussing this further would be of interest to others considering Gentoo.  I thought Gentoo downloaded the source code and then compiled it on your computer.  Whereas Arch downloads a pre-compiled binary.  I understand the compiling of the Gentoo update would take some time.  But would the download time really be different?  Would the source code files be that much larger than the binaries?  Please shed some more light on this for me.  Thank you.

#63 2012-01-03 20:54:29

ArchVortex
Retired

@mike4ca,

Sorry, the time I should have said is time for downloading will be a breeze not compiling. I also wasn't specific enough in saying that it took days in total to download, compile/recompile and update the system. I never used dialup for Arch so I can't compare download speeds. At the moment, for me, Arch mirror sites have faster download speeds than Gentoo in my opinion. You're right, it's the compiling time that is slow and it is a pain especially if you're in a hurry. Let me give you a recent example. I installed VLC on a new AB and dirty install of Gentoo. Arch was faster to download (with around the same number of dependencies qt, etc.) but while Gentoo was finished downloading and starting the compiling process, AB already had VLC installed. I had to wait almost 100 minutes longer for Gentoo to finish. I could have watched a movie on AB while waiting for Gentoo to compile and install.

Pacman is way faster than emerge because of pre-compiled binaries but even Gentoo based distros using pre-compiled binaries are slower than Arch. As far as speed of the system, they are around the same, Gentoo maybe a little more tailored to your specific hardware than Arch but both are fast. I find Gentoo uses less RAM than Arch. ArchBang upon opening the desktop after boot idles at around 80 MB for me (doubled since the 2011.02 release of AB). Gentoo + Openbox idles between 55 - 60 MB RAM.

Both systems are great and have fast operational speed. Arch is faster to install, build your system and download packages but Gentoo is more technical, uses less resources and you have more control over your system. If you are going to use Gentoo you need to give it time to do its thing. If you are more pressed for time it's better to use Arch.

#64 2012-01-03 21:38:53

mike4ca

Thanks ArchVortex for the clarification!

#65 2012-01-04 11:12:28

vrkalak
Website

As you can see from my previous post here (#57) ... I have tried and use several OS-distros, on several computers.
I have a stack of, at least, 100 CD/DVD's from different distros.

Since, I only use Debian-based distros with either Openbox or Fluxbox . . . then, Archbang is the "other woman"  tongue

Last edited by vrkalak (2012-01-04 11:16:52)

#66 2012-01-04 16:00:17

Kruppt

ArchVortex wrote:

@Kruppt, I remember those days during dialup when it took forever to compile especially here in Indonesia. At one point I hadn't updated in almost a year. When we got broadband in the church I was at in Jakarta in 2003 I took my computer in, hooked it up and let it go for days. It seemed like almost a week went by before it finished. Hahahaha!! I'm looking forward to moving to Taiwan or South Korea where the internet is obscenely fast compared to here. I read on-line that Taiwan wants to finish a project by 2015 that will ensure a lot of its users will have speeds exceeding 100 Mbps and some areas will have 1Gbps. Then compiling times for Gentoo will be a breeze wink

ChaChing!! "will have speeds exceeding 100 Mbps and some areas will have 1Gbps. Then compiling times for Gentoo will be a breeze wink"
They didn't even have ADSL here till two years ago.... I'm crankin' if I get 500Kbps...!!LMAO! Enjoy!! You could download a real good
collection of ISO's for about every Distro out there in no time at  all.;-)

#67 2012-01-12 00:19:39

ArchVortex
Retired

@Kruppt Are you running Calculate Linux yet. I'm impressed. Far better than Sabayon and as close to running Gentoo without doing an installation. I run it just like Gentoo. You can use source or binaries without any problems unlike Sabayon where it's better to choose one or the other and mixing is not good. Clear concise documentation which is easier to follow than the Gentoo handbook. They've done an excellent job IMHO. I think it's a great way for anybody who wants to try Gentoo and get use to the Gentoo way of doing things  (portage, flag use, masking/unmasking, etc.) before doing a Gentoo install or not bothering and just stick with Calculate. I'm running it with LXDE instead of Xfce.

I also just installed the old CrunchBang 10 Statler and am running it with Sid repos and updating/upgrading via init 3 just like aptosid and siduction. So far no problems beside a few packages that were held back and causing upgrading delays.

#68 2012-01-13 17:27:44

Kruppt

@ArchVortex Yeah, I did install cldx-11.12-i686 to a partition on another drive the other day to familiarize myself
with Portage/emerge/aix. Still learning all the details of how this works,
did a eix-sync and installed fluxbox,rox related packages,cfg-update,menumaker,
ran cfg-update --optimize-backups and installed a few other packages.
That is all I have had time for at this point as I had a few distractions.
Still setting it all up. I do like Calculate, I'll get back to it in the near future.
I installed a frugal of Porteus 1.1 on my second drives,
where I keep all my frugals (Tinycore, Slitaz, Slacko, Porteus, GRML) which I use while the
Primary drives are "up on the rack" (cloning, backing up, re-partitioning, foo) So have been playing with
Porteus the last several days while I was cloning my original ArchBang partitions to another partition on the Primary drives.
Now I can chroot into the second ArchBang partition everyday or so and keep pushing the second ArchBang forward while
I hold back on the first where I have everything working properly.
Once all the "hyper changes" settle out, I can then just switch over and deal with
what needs to be dealt with..without needless waste of time/energy trying to chase it all on the roll.
I have been booted into Porteus for the last several days, playing with it, so haven't been back to finish
setting up Calculate the way I would like it setup.
I like Porteus for portable use, and for use while main drives are "up on the rack",
have been using various versions of Puppy for this type of thing over the years.
Slacko, ....now this is my favorite Puppy to date.....using Slackware instead of .... Bumtu.

CrunchBang, nice to see they have switched to Debian, so will install it at some point.
So you use CrunchBang for a base setup, of a "rolling debian", editing the source.list file to use the Sid repos.?
Could you share your source.list file?
I downloaded aptosid-2011-02-imera-xfce-i386-201107131632 with the intention of installing it
at some point. May rather try your trick. Another distro that looks like something
I would like to install is Frugalware. It uses Slackware as it's base, but has
a package management system similar to Arch's. So many distro's and so little time/energy to keep up with them all LOL!

#69 2012-01-13 19:58:05

ArchVortex
Retired

@Kruppt

I used the Debian Source List Generator to make my source list for my "SidBang" and also used Debian Weather to see how good a day it was for doing the upgrades. I updated Lenny, then updated the system from Lenny to Squeeze and then finally from Squeeze to Sid. I figured going directly from Lenny to Sid would break stuff so I went this route. Of course, I had to test my hypothesis as well and it broke network-manager/network-manager-gnome on a spare 10 GB partition
i have set aside for such experiments. There was a thread in the CrunchBang Forums on migrating to Sid but there wasn't much info and it was outdated.

Great minds think alike!! I installed FluxBox on my Calculate so I can learn the ins and outs of FluxBox. I am writing this post from the install. I started with borrowing the AntiX menu and adjusting it but installed menumaker and went ahead with

$ mmaker -v fluxbox

to make a new menu. I am enjoying FluxBox so far and have a feeling I'm going to like it better than OB. More customizable than OB and for someone who likes control and to tinker with their desktop, this is a good thing  smile

#70 2012-01-14 15:25:05

Kruppt

Thanks for the links and method.
Debian Weather !! LMAO!
menumaker is pretty slick for building base menus,
then you can edit the menu file to your liking, using it as a base.
It sure beats creating it from scratch.
It works with all the Box WM's, and a few others, XFCE, Window Maker, pekwm.
And a few more I can not remember.
I did warn you... that if you spent to much time with Fluxbox
you may end up liking it :-)

#71 2012-01-14 16:33:55

xtremyst

update from my last post here,
i recently installed arch xfce next to archbang...
I was/am 100% satisfied with archbang, i guess i just wanted to see if i can do it...
Using archbang helped me a lot to set up arch, of course i also used archwiki articles
and willxtreme's  guide and everything went smoothly...
(edit:needless to say archbang will remain my basic distro as i got addicted to openbox )

Last edited by xtremyst (2012-01-14 16:38:22)

#72 2012-01-16 23:24:04

hymie

Kruppt wrote:

@ArchVortex Yeah, I did install cldx-11.12-i686 to a partition on another drive the other day to familiarize myself
with Portage/emerge/aix. Still learning all the details of how this works,
did a eix-sync and installed fluxbox,rox related packages,cfg-update,menumaker,
ran cfg-update --optimize-backups and installed a few other packages.
That is all I have had time for at this point as I had a few distractions.
Still setting it all up. I do like Calculate, I'll get back to it in the near future.

Just for curiosity I also installed the same on two machines, but I'm far from being enthusiastic about it. I'd diagnose it as "utter madness" in my case. On one hand I was not able to boot the live CD to X, because the system persisted in using the onboard graphic instead of my PCI-card that every other distro is using. So I had to install putting tons of options in a single commandline. In the other case I had the same problem with the latest "nvidia" driver as in ArchBang. I then installed "nouveau" first and after reboot tried to install an older version of the nvidia driver. With that I was successful, but for some unknown reasons mouse and keyboard are not working any more - so what can one *DO* without mouse and keyboard??? Maybe I shoud start scratching the screen or shouting loud? In fact I don't know why I'm doing this when I have ArchFlux and I'm perfectly happy with that. Evenmore I don't have much time and that makes me getting mad when having to solve such "problems". So "Gentoo" is definitely too much for me and will never become my favorite waste of time ;-)

#73 2012-01-17 14:02:53

Kruppt

Just for curiosity I also installed the same on two machines, but I'm far from being enthusiastic about it. I'd diagnose it as "utter madness" in my case. On one hand I was not able to boot the live CD to X, because the system persisted in using the onboard graphic instead of my PCI-card that every other distro is using. So I had to install putting tons of options in a single commandline. In the other case I had the same problem with the latest "nvidia" driver as in ArchBang. I then installed "nouveau" first and after reboot tried to install an older version of the nvidia driver. With that I was successful, but for some unknown reasons mouse and keyboard are not working any more - so what can one *DO* without mouse and keyboard??? Maybe I shoud start scratching the screen or shouting loud? In fact I don't know why I'm doing this when I have ArchFlux and I'm perfectly happy with that. Evenmore I don't have much time and that makes me getting mad when having to solve such "problems". So "Gentoo" is definitely too much for me and will never become my favorite waste of time ;-)

Ahhh ...one of them wonderful Motherboads that you can not actually turn off the onboard video chip in the BIOS.
It will automatically switch to the PCI video card when installed >NOT<
I had one of these type motherboards on an old Dell LX series computer.
I would have to constantly reboot, as it would always choose the onboard video about every other boot.
Needless to say, the motherboard got scrapped after I removed the caps. MB did this with several different
distros I was running at the time. To the rest of your post .....LMFAO!!

#74 2012-01-17 18:14:09

hymie

Kruppt wrote:

Ahhh ...one of them wonderful Motherboads that you can not actually turn off the onboard video chip in the BIOS.
It will automatically switch to the PCI video card when installed >NOT<
I had one of these type motherboards on an old Dell LX series computer.
I would have to constantly reboot, as it would always choose the onboard video about every other boot.
Needless to say, the motherboard got scrapped after I removed the caps. MB did this with several different
distros I was running at the time. To the rest of your post .....LMFAO!!

The point is, that the onboard video chip *IS* turned off in the BIOS. So I have all other distros and the console working, but when it turns to X it starts using the onboard chip. That applies only to the Live-DVD on that system, since the system boots fine from the harddisk - I just had annoying difficulties installing it from commandline. The "Calculate" people must have put some graphics "wrap" around through some strange special kernel boot options, that doesn't work for me. But I have no patience investigating this further and it will certainly be completely removed from the other computer where the keyboard is not working.

#75 2012-01-27 11:09:14

hsngrms
Website

Only ArchBang for months. smile

Board footer